Bantam Cochins- What age do you cull for body fullness?

schmmems

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2009
Central Florida
My son showed at the fair this weekend and did well with his Silkie. After he showed, I stuck around to see how others from his school did. Two students showed 5 month old cochin pullets. They are nice birds, great coloration, awesome foot feathering, nice carriage. His comment was that they were not "basketbally" enough. I thought that this was a characteristic that develops as the bird matures. He suggested getting new birds with better form and not using those birds in our program. I asked if the age mattered, he said no, that they would never fill out. So, I thought I would ask all of the cochin experts out there... what age do you use for form? How old do the birds have to be before you can access their "basketballness"?

This is a touchy subject for me as I do not show. I do not want my birds to be full bodied until they are 5 months old. I prefer my Cochins to give their attention to developing a healthy body and not put their energy into making feathers therefore leaving the body behind. There are feeds that can help in both areas and I am sure many use this but I like my Cochins to mature slowly enough to produce well for me for many years. I do not want to use them and toss them aside later.
Okay, so now you know. I look at mine at about 5 months and see what they are showing me. If, at 5 months, these birds appear too slender to you then I would suggest looking into another bloodline or breed that has some round Cochins.
If you like what you see, then go for it. I would never take the opinion of one person that may not like the same things I do. Cochins are supposed to be round and I do see it more on my mature birds than on my younger ones. Check out my website. You will see under bantam Cochins a variety of birds in different age groups. I may have culled some and I am still working on others but I breed for what I like and not some opinion of people that don't care for the same things I do.
I love the bantam Cochins and I love the round appearance but I won't sacrifice my birds health. But then, my Cochins don't stay in small pens. Mine are out running around enjoying life like a chicken. Do they look unhappy to you? Do they look dirty and nasty?

Good luck with the showing. It teaches great responsibility to young people but love your birds first and the winnings will eventually be there.

They are not mature enough to be completely filled out.. more like 9+ months.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, I'd say nine months... mine are that age and just finished filling out. Even the slender, feathery ones who I initially thought weren't big enough at 5 months and nice and round now.

Depends on the size personally. Bantams, 9+ months. I would prefer not to cull Cochins that are similar in size and shape until 1.5 years. I want a nice frame that the feathers grow onto.

Back
Top Bottom