Bantam Cockerel Introduction

Hilgartners

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
New here and I have what feels to be an urgent question.

I have a mixed flock of 10- (none of which are bantams)
1 rooster
5 mature hens
4 recently introduced 9 week old pullets

And- I now have what seem to be two 4 week old d’uccle cockerels! We were obviously hoping for some little hens.

I’d appreciate an overview of some scenarios for managing this combination, I assume I’ll have to get rid of one maybe both of the bantam cockerels?? Could another option be to get some more bantam hens?

Help!

Sam

The suspects

Attachments

• BCA60D3B-3CC0-4858-B734-03890F386518.png
    BCA60D3B-3CC0-4858-B734-03890F386518.png
    2 MB · Views: 4
Why would that not fix anything? Tell me more. I’m on here for information. I’ve never asked a question on a forum before.

Why would that not fix anything? Tell me more. I’m on here for information. I’ve never asked a question on a forum before.
Getting enough hens will not fix anything because the rooster and cockerels will still fight no matter how many hens you have. But, getting more hens will fix an over-mating problem if you decide to add the d'Uccle cockerels to the flock. I would recommend re-homing them as well, though.

Note that the ratio of roosters to hens is about 1:8 or 1:10, meaning you have less than the needed amount of hens (if your rooster does breed a lot).

And the size difference, if you want to keep them, keep a separate bantam flock. Some people do mix full size and bantam size chickens together, and can get it to work, but a lot of people can't. The smaller birds can get bullied.

Rooster do not get the concept of sharing hens. Especially in confinement. If you free range 100% of the time in a very large area, like a pasture, well then you might get away with it. The roosters and hens will separate into little tribes.

But if you truly are a backyard flock, or even in a country where predators are going to wipe you out. Then you have to keep them confined. Even a large backyard is a confinement. Letting them out for a couple of hours a day won't make up for the time in confinement either.

To keep three roosters, I would want close to 45 hens... and more importantly, I would want the space to run that many birds. The more roosters you try and keep the greater the chance of it going wrong.

Mrs K

And the size difference, if you want to keep them, keep a separate bantam flock. Some people do mix full size and bantam size chickens together, and can get it to work, but a lot of people can't. The smaller birds can get bullied.
I agree, but in my opinion bantams and large fowl shouldn't be mixed and should be kept separate at all times, especially when it comes to roosters fighting and over-breeding. A large fowl size rooster would definitely be able to kill a bantam rooster. A large fowl size rooster would also definitely be able to kill a bantam hen by over-breeding.

Back
Top Bottom