Bantam eggs ... how long?

SilkieStepHen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
Dahlonega, GA USA
Hi all!
As you can see by my avatar, I'm new to BYC and new to chickens in general. This is my second hatch - first was a disaster (4 silkie eggs, 2 marans eggs - only 1 hatchling, Ava, my silkie baby) due to shipped eggs, but that's a story for another time ...

My question is this: do bantam eggs hatch earlier than "normal" sized chicken eggs? I did the shipped egg method this time, but from a different breeder. What I ended up with is a grab bag of 6 bantam serama, silkie, d'uccle or frizzles (won't know who is who until they hatch). I kind of like the idea of NOT knowing :)

... anyway ...

We're on day 19, in lockdown, temp 99.5, humidity 68-70% (I live in Georgia, it's naturally humid here) all's well ... and there is some SERIOUS rocking and rolling going on in there! No one has pipped yet and I don't hear any chirps, but is this normal? The silkie I hatched 2 weeks ago was an assisted hatch because she pipped on the wrong end and was all sorts of playing twister in that shell, and that was on day 20 after she pipped overnight between day 18 & 19. Has anyone had the smaller eggs hatch early? Is the temp and humidity ok? I'm really nervous because of the last episode, or should I just breathe and just let nature happen?

Thanks in advance for your calming words of advice
big_smile.png

OMG ok, breathe, hot water scissors twine WAIT not horses or pups! these are chicks!
Ok, breathe Sage, this is 1st time using an incubator.
Some of "mine" are in there as well as some purchased,
I put em in lockdown over the weekend.
Then this morning whilst peeking with my handy flashlight I see cracks in one! OMG
I forgot to remove the egg turner, you dope!
SO I heated some water, popped it open pulled out the turner, put damp paper towels between the water rez and the wire,
put the kids on and shut it down. One peeped!!!!!
I keep a sweater on the Hovabator too, I know silly old woman but with the air conditioning going I wanted constant temp.
Now...do I just leave it alone and let em hatch til we're done?
I candled em Saturday and removed 8 duds. I have what I think are 25 viable eggs.
Do I remove the hatched ones to the brooder after 24 hrs?
SO silly to be so excited. Thanks all!

OMG ok, breathe, hot water scissors twine WAIT not horses or pups! these are chicks!
Ok, breathe Sage, this is 1st time using an incubator.
Some of "mine" are in there as well as some purchased,
I put em in lockdown over the weekend.
Then this morning whilst peeking with my handy flashlight I see cracks in one! OMG
I forgot to remove the egg turner, you dope!
SO I heated some water, popped it open pulled out the turner, put damp paper towels between the water rez and the wire,
put the kids on and shut it down. One peeped!!!!!
I keep a sweater on the Hovabator too, I know silly old woman but with the air conditioning going I wanted constant temp.
Now...do I just leave it alone and let em hatch til we're done?
I candled em Saturday and removed 8 duds. I have what I think are 25 viable eggs.
Do I remove the hatched ones to the brooder after 24 hrs?
SO silly to be so excited. Thanks all!
YAY! It's not just me!!!!
celebrate.gif
I cover the bator with a towel at night, leaving one vent hole uncovered and it keeps the temp even... I can't sleep w/out air conditioning in GA!

Still no pips or peeps yet, but everyone's still doing their own little jig, waiting patiently... trying to give a step-hen a heart attack.
D.gif

Thank y'all for your answers
bow.gif
I only wish I knew as much as some of y'all on here!

Oh ok I thot now was the time to keep em plugged, I had mine unplugged but with feeding tube for water all this time.
Got the brooder set up just need to do the light and I am ready! hehe thanks Silky, my daughter lives in Ga too.We can learn I figger.
This site has been very helpful. I have never hatched my own before. Kinda exciting.

Yeah, they are supposed to be covered to keep the humidity in, but even unplugged, the humidity in my bator stays between 55% and 70% (we have had a LOT of rain here!) I guess that's a good thing for the chicks ... not so good for me ;)

Just make sure fresh air can get in through the vent holes so the eggs can breath. I was a first timer this year with an incubator. Once they pip leave them alone and hatch. Then wait for them all to hatch. They can live off the yolk sack for 2 or more days. I did have some late hatchers, so after day and a half and no other pips, I took my already hatched chicks out....but as long as no others are externally pipped! Good luck to you all!

Gotcha, I took out the plugs. Very humid and nicely warm at perfect temp. Peep is still pipping.

Back
Top Bottom