Bantam roo mating with big cochin?

Some little guys LOVE big girls...oh chickens, I have no idea, lol
big_smile.png

My grandma has told me numerous times that "it will not work" mixing bantam roo with full-sized hen. She said it made her mother so mad because the setting hens eggs were "ruined" (not fertile). I have only a bantam roo and he tries his darndest!! But Grandma says no way no how...

Yes they can handle the big and little girls and all sizes in between. Ours have been quite fertile also, expect a higher fertility percentage later on, as most of our girls are still under a year old. We have a bantam brahma roo and he has had the little chicks to prove his virility (feather-feet) and all. Fathered babies with a sebright, ee, red star, and some big white chicken we don't know what she is (too big to be a leghorn, was broiler stock, but not cornish cross ).

I've got lots of babies to prove that my banty roo can handle the big girls just fine! Have at it little man!!!!

That's cool, I figured they were too small, short
roll.png

Sorry to steal your thread but can a big roo mate with a bantam hen without harming her. I'm afraid my cochin/orp roo is going to be too rowdy for my OEG

Thats a good ? I would like to know that also. Can a large roo hurt bantam hens?

Bantam roo+large fowl hen=okay
large fowl roo+bantam hen=not okay

We have one bantam X large fowl and used to have another. One was a rooster and one was a hen. Both had the same mom but different dads. Mom was a large fowl and dads were bantams. Generally, whoever had the stronger genes indicated how big the offspring grew to be.

It can happen. If dad had enough practice and is...uhh...successful, there will be a baby in his name.
smile.png
If not, he'll get it right eventually.

YES, I've heard of many bantam hens who have been hurt mating with large fowl roosters.
sad.png
I'm also having this problem right now. I have a flock of size mixes and I think one of my large fowl 'pullets' is really a cockerel. It's the sad truth but it's messing with what those poor little hens can handle. They really have a good chance of ending up with a broken neck.

Back
Top Bottom