Bantam rooster + 2 month old hens

Reapermoon

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
I have a friend who has 8- 2 month old females. He wants to put his favorite bantam rooster ( a golden sebright)with them. I told him to wait and let me ask some ppl who would know😀 so im asking 😀😀

Is that a mature rooster, or a young cockerel?

Those females are definitely immature.

I would probably say to try it but WATCH what happens, and be ready to pull the rooster back out if needed.

There are lots of stories of roosters that help care for baby chicks, that watch out for half-grown chicks, and that generally act as good fathers. And there are also lots of stories of males who are very rough in trying to mate with pullets that are not old enough yet. So it's one of those things that depends on the individual rooster. (There do seem to be more "good" stories with roosters that are fully mature, and more "bad" stories with partly-grown cockerels, but exceptions exist in both directions.)

Hes just turned 1 yr old
If the goal is to breed chicks from those pullets, I would leave the rooster out until after the pullets lay their first few tiny eggs. The first few eggs aren't a good choice for hatching anyway, and that's an easy way to be sure they are mature before adding him.

If there is some reason the rooster needs to move to another pen (maybe he's fighting with a different rooster, or one pen seems crowded, or something of the sort), then I would try putting him in with the pullets and watch what happens. It might work, might not, so be ready to take him out again.

No breeding he just wants to keep his lil roo
In that case, I'd try putting them together and watch.

If that doesn't work, a possible backup plan would be to divide the pen so the rooster can interact through a layer of wire mesh until the pullets grow up some more, then let them live together later.

Based on my humble experience I'd say put them together and watch for a bit, I'll bet they'll be fine. I have a (non-aggressive) bantam Old English Game rooster who keeps watch over my 6 week to 3 month old new flock members that aren't yet, or won't be, introduced to the main flock. He's very helpful and protective. I'm hoping he'll teach any new roosters some good behavior. The bantam rooster is slightly over 1 year old.

Back
Top Bottom