Bantam Size?

HappyPlace

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 31, 2011
Middle of the Mitten
I've been using the search to try and find threads about the size of bantams and I'm not really finding what I need...
hmm.png
There are plenty of threads out there and even some with comparison pics which kind of helps, but it's still a little hard to really tell the size. There are too many variations within the pics, like the size of other chickens, the size standard of the bantams themselves, not enough information about the pic, itself, etc...
sad.png

My bantams are supposed to be about 32 to 34 ounces, so about 2 pounds. I've been thinking it was about the size of maybe a parrot or cockatiel, but seeing the pics, it looks more like the size of a morning dove?? If that's the case, my bantams are full grown at 6 weeks...?
hu.gif

Could anyone give a better size clarification? Maybe compare bantam chickens to a different bird??

Completely depends on the breed of bantam you are referring to. and then you also have to take into consideration their fluff, so they may look bigger than they really are. I have a bantam Cochin, for example, that when she's dry and all fluffed up, she's the size of a basketball, but when she's soaking wet, like at bathtime, she's barely larger than a softball...
smile.png

The appearance of a bird does not indicate weight. I have some old english bantams that look very small but are actually considerably over standard due to being rock solid with very little feathering. On the flip side of that coin, there are birds that have a lot of excess feathering, as mentioned above, like cochins, that look much heavier. Your best bet is to attend some shows or visit breeders of birds you are interested in, and see which size suits you.

I guess I asked the question wrong...?

I have EE bantams and I am aware of the variation in the "breed" but they have relatively close to the body feathers (at least right now). They are almost exactly the same body and height of a morning dove at present. Based on the place that I received them, they should get about 32-34 ounces. They are only 6 weeks old so I know they will get a bit bigger (if not a whole lot), I was just considering how much bigger and tried to see if I could get a rough estimate.

I guess a better way to ask the question would be: What is the tallest and/or heaviest that a bantam version of a large breed can usually get?

Last edited:
Every bloodline will differ, depending on the breeder, and the breed itself. An example. I have oegb. A mature cock is supposed to be 24 ounces, and a mature hen should weigh 22 ounces. I have had mature hens have weighed 9 ounces, and hens here that have weighed 22 ounces. I have had cockbirds weighing 13 ounces, and cockbirds weighing 28 ounces. There is not an accurate answer to your question. A bird can develop into totally different type/size, depending on the weather it is raised in, what time of year it is hatched, what it is fed, how it is fed, free ranging or pen raised, etc....

Last edited:
My bantams are nearly 38 ounces i have 5 blue andalusians and 5 well summers beautiful breeds . there just about half the size of my rhode island reds .my rhode islands are 4 to 5 pounds.It also depends how there bread.But i love them all

I was wondering the same. Mine are only 3 1/2 weeks, and some are pretty large. I figure they will be twice the size they are now when fully grown, but not sure. My polish are almost twice the size of the cochins and silkies, but they are all the same age.

Back
Top Bottom