Bantam surrogate and Low hatch rate why?

firefowl

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Temperate Australia
About 16-18 days ago I put at least 4 quail eggs under a broody bantam and today I found only 2 quail eggs and about 10 chicken eggs under her. One of the quail eggs was partially hatched but squashed and dead, the other one wasn't hatched. I removed all the chicken eggs and replaced with more quail eggs. So the question is why did she smother or kill the quail that tried to hatch?

I've been using a cheap small incubator to hatch quail eggs for the second time. And the results I'm getting are the same as the 1st time - one hatched out of nine. I've been turning 1-2 times per day and the temp was a steady 100oF. I had no humidity meter so just guessed when it needed some water in the tray. In both cases after the first one hatched it kicked around all the other eggs - could this stop them from hatching? When I removed the hatched one I moved the eggs carefully to be more spaced out.

Eggs were incubated on 2nd Dec 8pm so it's been 18 days. One was already hatched when I woke up today

What kind of quail? Bobwhite take longer.

I wonder if she knew it wasn't a chicken egg?

I imagine in your incubator the problem was humidity, since you had no way to measure and just guessed.

Coturnix.The humidity was ok for that one to hatch...

Will be day 19 in a few hours, still only one hatch. The other thing I realised I didn't do was to keep the eggs with the aircell facing up.

I've given up on hatching quail eggs under my hen, I bought some fertile olive egger and maran eggs I will put under her today.

Also I just bought 10x day old quails so the one that hatched won't be lonely.

Back
Top Bottom