Bantam vs Standard?

I've never been a fan of using an animal as a toy. I seen to many 4 and 5 year olds break dogs legs. Not on purpose but from lack of knowing how to hold a puppy and even understanding. If I had childern around here they would not pick up my chickens for sure. To many bad experences. The " I didn't mean too", or "I'm sorry" don't do much when the animals hurt.

Then that's just me.
I don't think he meant for them to be 'toys' just something his kids could appreciate =)
PROS of Bantams:
They eat less
They are smaller for your kids to handle
Littler eggs so your kinds don't waster half the egg like i did when i was younger. I would only eat half then be full, but these eggs are perfect for youngers!
They take up less space

CONS of bantams
They will fly
They might be harder to catch
Littler eggs (for your sake)

I would look into getting a few of each: standard and bantam
It all depends on what kind you get, if you want them for eggs then do standard barred rock, ameraucana, or buff orpingtons
if you want some for meat then do buff orpingtons (my preference) or Cornish Cross. (The cornish cross grow quicker which makes them not have as much flavor)
If you want them for pets then i would definitely do Silkies. They are super nice, and they would make a great pet!
thanks,
Sam

We have had great experiences for the kids with d'Uccles, cochins (bantam and large) buff orpingtons (large fowl) rhode island red hens, welsummer hens, silkies... we have always chosen breeds for temperament as I will not risk my kids getting a spur in the face (or a peck in the eye) That said, we had some mean little cochin roos, and I had a horrid BO roo that almost pecked a chunk out of my DD hand and tried to spur me... they go straight into the pot. And the kids know that... fantastic experience for the kids and us!

And isn't that the greatest lesson to learn about bullying? Be obnoxious...go right in the pot!!!
highfive.gif
I would hope that reality would keep some kids from doing it. (and no...I don't support dropping kids in a pot..lol....but it is a great way to show there are consequences to being mean.)
wink.png

I have a lot of bantams chickens and only one standard hen. I have more than 9 bantams roosters free ranging together.

I would go for bantams because they eat less, very friendly, and they don't need the large pen like standards would need.

I have 7 sebrights, 24 silkies, 12 Dutch, 5 dominique bantams, 6 Rhode Island Red bantam, 2 nankins, 1 Easter egger standard,1 Americana bantam and 7 mixes breeds.

I never had a mean bantams roosters till I got a silver sebright, he's sooooooooo feisty! He would spurring you from behind you. At same time he would let you grab him and pet him. What a strange rooster I have.
I also have 3 roosters who will watching me and follow me like I'm their hen..

By the way, my silver seb roo did fight a raccoon or fisher cat inside the coop at the night.
I have golden sebright rooster who scared the cat away by his starring and running to the cat. :gig

I used to had lot of standards chickens but I sold almost all and kept only one and brought/hatched some bantams. Now I have total of bantams 62 and one standard, also 2 Muscovy ducks.

I have silkie bantams and my flocks have been so sweet and gentle. One thing to consider is if children are involved is bantams are smaller and can get hurt easier by a well meaning child. Just something to consider. Especially when the birds are young. I might go for the larger breed just for that reason if I were you. I personally don't let children hold my silkies. But to each his own..but I likely would choose a Larger breed that could be damaged a lot less easier from the kids. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Hello everyone, I have just acquired a white crested poland she's 20 weeks and anout the size of my sebright am I right to think she's a bantam?t

Thank you!!

I've loved animals my whole life. If as a child I was told I could not be around animals because someone was afraid I would hurt them my life would have surely turned out differently. Animals kept me out of trouble and busy as a teen. Now I share the love of animals with my eight and eleven year old. I sometimes wonder if people who post this stuff ever had kids of their own. Of course parents have a responsibility to teach their kids respect for the animal and must make sure the pet is being treated correctly. But that said... if a child is interested in having pets it shows them a lot on being responsible for something other than themselves and how to respect and care for something. Do you realize how many animals out there need a good home? Please lets not be overly skeptical of kids and help them to become great adults by keeping and helping a pet have a better life.

In terms of temperament, my bantams are definitely more fearful and jumpy. While they are just as tame, they tend to freak out easy, flinch easier, and are harder to pick up. They can easily fly. Once i have them, they are fine, it's just something about hands reaching for them. They're scared of small mice and really freak out when crows stand on the gutter of the house above them. Larger chickens seem more dosile - with standard ones i could just walk up and pick them up and they made zero effort to get away. I also noticed with standard chickens when the neighbours dog barked they used to run to the fence and retaliate. Also they tend to just catch mice, and also chase off other birds. The world is very different when you're larger i guess.
Having said that, i still prefer bantams because they are so small and seem more curious. If i'm on the bench outside they will check my hands over multiple times for food, jump on my legs, sniff at my coffee, jump on my shoulder. They're great. They just have a sixth sence for when you seem like you're going to try and pick them up.

I should elaborate. The d'uccles, wyandottes and sebright are most curious. The modern game is less curious but also less jumpy and the silkie is easier to catch probably because it can't see so well, and comes across really dopey and fly even to get on a perch. The d'uccles and wyandottes seem genuinely interested in what i'm doing even if there is no reward whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom