HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
I've noticed my frizzles and sizzles' heads have gone completely bald. There is no sores on anyone, the rest of their feathers seem normal. But their heads are completely featherless, they weren't like this a couple months ago.
I haven't witnessed any bullying or even mating. Doesn't mean there isn't any when I'm not there.
What should I do? They were so cute and now they're hideous!! Is this a health risk for them?
I don't have pictures, I'm currently sick. I can try later.

how old are the hens?
Have you ever had a rooster before?
If your flock is mixed ages what ages are getting bald the most?
These bantam hens are mixed from 5 years old to a year. It is the 1 year old frizzles and sizzles that have gone bald.
Yes, I raise standard roosters regularly. My bantam roosters though I don't have a lot since they can't free range. I've got a frizzle rooster and 2 submissive silkie roosters. I've never ran into a problem with them before, they don't ever fight or crow, but obviously something is going on if my hens are balding.
Unfortunately this is a terrible season, I was getting a new chicken shed to start a bantam rooster flock, and it hasn't stopped raining and the new coop is stuck in a field in another county. It's too deep of mud to get it out now.

the roosters sometimes band together to grab a hen and mate.
The submissive roosters typically do it.
One stand on top the other grabs and holds the hens head.

Ive seen it with my very eyes.:oops:
I'll just get a dog kennel out, I can't believe how vicious bantams are. That'll save my hens from further damage. If they don't clean up their act, they get to sleep outside from now on :oops:

Back
Top Bottom