Bantams

CK Lewis

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2017
Lucinda, PA
We recently added 6 Bantam hens to our flock of 1 Plymouth Rock rooster , 2 Plymouth Rock hens and 3 Buff Orpington Hens. We had them in the coop when we let them out of the cage they were in. They haven't been in the coop since. It has been 2 days. We have tried to herd them in but they are tricky little buggers. We now have 5 in one pine tree and one in the top of another tree. It is getting cold here in NW PA and I would like them in the coop with the others. I also don't want them laying eggs out and about. Any suggestions??

Thank you!!

I would go out after dark and retrieve them. Chickens are easier to catch in the dark.

What kind of bantam are they? They may get bullied by the big breeds, especially if the big breeds were there first. You may want to keep them separately for their safety.

It's difficult to introduce new birds to an existing flock, and it takes time. When you catch them, have them in a separate area in the coop for a week or so, and then try again.
You need plenty of space, separate areas, roosts, and hiding places, at least, for the new birds to avoid the bigger residents and begin to feel safe.
Pictures of your coop and run will help, and what kind of bantams did you get?
Mary

I believe they are Cornish Bantams. They are all different colors. We have our chickens free range. They are staying in the trees. They are getting closer to the other members of the flock. I underestimated how smart and quick they were.

I really don't know what kind they are. We got them off of an Amish family. The big chickens really didn't mess with them. They are high up in a pine tree. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Back
Top Bottom