Barbwire... the solution?

Quote:
And its a whole lot cheaper than razor wire. Razor wire seems to have some kind of magical attracting abilities (kinda like a magnet) because if you get close, its gonna get ya' !

Unless you can afford to stack coils of razor wire, like at prisons or the nuclear plants I work in,,,,,all you can hope for is a cut paw or leg, now you have a wounded predator.

I started with a 6' chain link fence, 20X40', put 14''x16'' barn timbers around it to discourage digging, then put a 2' band of 1/2'' hardware cloth on a ten mile charger at the bottom,, I have had no attempts at climbing or digging.. They can't roll a 1000lb. beam and get the snot shocked out of them if they try and climb. Now I just gotta hang the cargo nets over the top to stop any ariel assults.

Quote:
Where I work.........inmates get to install it.
big_smile.png

But they get HEAVY leather gloves. It must work real well as a deterent. No one EVER escapes. Or gets in.
And yes, it is very difficult to install without getting cut to shreds. Slow and steady.

Quote:
i was going to say this exact same thing! sheesh, think how mangled your poor chickens would get if you had them behind razor wire....

barbed wire was developed to contain cattle, that's all. some people use it for other large livestock (i can't stand it when people use it for horse fence, but that's just my pet peeve), but it's designed to be effective against cattle. not dogs. not racoons. certainly not weasels. it's not a good solution for chicken fencing.

Has anyone used the electric poultry netting? You could also make other types of poultry fencing hot by using plastic insulators to attach it to the fence posts. You can string electric wire used for horses around the bottoms of your pens, use more than one strand, maybe four inches apart. That would keep out all small animals and even dogs. The wire is cheap and the insulators not expensive either. Just some thoughts.

Jane

I think the problem with electric, razor, barbwire is that it's your chicken coop. I wouldn't want to go into the coop knowing that if I trip or fall or even make the wrong move I could be seriously hurt.
smile.png

Razor wire is NOT a good idea..it will get you or a chicken or someone you love. Barbed wire doesn't work for ANY kind of predator. Electric wires work if placed correctly. Electric netting works great for goats, so the netting for poulty should work great for predators. Good luck..

Check out high tensile fencing designs. Smooth wire with electrified strands at the bottom, middle, and top. If you got the spacing right (very close!) you could keep hens in, especially if there wasn't anything really attractive outside the fence that they wanted to get to.

That design will take some HUGE posts buried very deep (the large number of wires, each with 150 lbs. of tension on them will rip normal posts right out of the ground. With maintenance and such the cost would be beyond the nicest four-board with 2x4" woven wire behind it.

I want my coop to work like Ft. Knox, not *look* like Ft. Knox! Also, such extremes cost some serious money. I'm not a fan of $40.00/dozen eggs.

I do fine with 60" high 2x4" woven wire, with a hot strand standing out from the bottom and another a few inches above the top. That style of fence will hold in just about any critter that doesn't like to lean on it.

Back
Top Bottom