Barbwire... the solution?

dixygirl

Songster
11 Years
May 14, 2008
I see you can get 1320 feet of barbwire from $40.00 at Tractor Supply.

What if you put barbwire around your pen at 3 inches high, at 6 inches off the ground, at 12 inches off the ground, and again at 18 inches off the ground. That should slice up any ground roaming predator that dares come near your pen! That way you don't have to even use electricity for an electric fence or netting or buy an expensive charger. You could disguise it with some pretty flowers, shrubs or roses too.
lol.png

I think I will do that!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Sounds goodbut it won't work. Stop and think about it, a predator spends its life in/or around thongs and briars. They will go between the barb wire at three inches about like you driving down the freeway. Add electric and they will stay away.

We are thinking of solutions for our coop to predator proof it, too. Unfortunately I think a coon's fur is so thick the barbs may remove some fur, but still let the coon through. We're going to try electric.

What about if you put the barbwire 1" off the ground and every single inch a row all the way us to 2 feet? You get 1320 feet in the roll so that would be nothing.

I already have electric fence all around my whole property for my horse. It does not stop racoons. they come inside that because when they climg up the pole it does not shock them. Their feet have to be on the ground and another part of them touching the fence for it to work.

Last edited:
Razor wire MIGHT work. Barbed wire, no. Razor wire is EXTREMELY dangerous stuff. I work at a prison and have come in contact with it a couple times. It's called RAZOR for a reason. It'll slice anything just like.........a razor.

The barbs are to far apart to work for coons, your giving them another ladder.
40 bucks buys a fence charger, wire and stand off insulators are cheap. put 2' of electric and don't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom