Need help on coop and size

antelope1027

Hatching
Aug 29, 2023
I have about 20 chickens and 5 ducks, and I live in Northeast Ohio. I currently have a pen 30 x 30 (4 feet high with electric fence on top) is also has 2 shelters (9x10) made of chicken wire and covered by a tarp that I got of amazon for locking them up at night and keeping them safe. I want to add a coop or shelter to house them in the winter. I might want to put an automatic door to let them out to the pen. i looked at buying a coop and I can't afford it. i want to build a lean too on the side of a garage the butts up against the pen. The question i have is what size shelter? i was thinking a 7x8 and 7 feet high with one door and window, with nesting boxes off the long end of the lean to for egg collection. I plan on building it off the ground as the area get pretty wet so raised a 18 to 24 inche. I chose the heights and length to maximize the use of 2x4x8 boards. Has anyone built something like this? Any suggestions on size or just in general? Is this big enough? new to this and want to build this right the first time. Also, on a time constraint as winter is coming. thank you

I was going to put a floor in it. Just raise it off ground to prevent water. But thank you ill check out those posts

To
Putting a floor would be good but you may not like having a foot of space to try to crawl under. A few feet of space under a coop would be a little better.

Can you post a picture of the area you want to use?

You can make a hoop coop out of cattle panels or a lean to. Cover with hardware cloth and tarps or use metal roofing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 11.41.59 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 11.41.59 PM.png
    656.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom