Electrified chicken run solutions for hard ground

Sep 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ z9b
I see recommendations on this board for Premier1 type netting and it looks like a wonderful product. However for those of us with very hard ground, the idea of pushing the rods into our dirt is just not going to happen :)

What is a sensible electric fence solution that I should be considering if I want to make an electrified run on hard bare soil in the desert? I am completely new to electric fencing. The predator I want to target is coyotes. Also is electric fencing less effective in arid climates?

Ability to move the run like folks do with the netting is not required.

edit: I should mention that this is for a suburban setting and the coyotes jump our block walls and chain link fences. My setting is not truly rural.

Electric fencing will work in arid climate, but you need to be able to ground the system. You may be able to run a long grounding rod 6 to 8 foot in ground and hopefully get the rod into a moist subsoil.

You can try google and read about electric fencing in arid climates.

Also if you are in a suburban setting might want to check and see local ordinances on electric fencing.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coyote-proofing-a-run-in-the-desert.1497743/

I like that thread although it does give me pause about the idea of something like a Premier1 run in my location. Unlike the poster of that thread, I don't have coyotes digging under an existing run/coop (well not yet at least).

I more wanted to create a new area for them to roam safely (unless my coyotes began to dig of course), in addition to their current covered run & coop. Maybe electric is not the way though.

I haven't seen the premier 1 step in posts. But I just used some other plain step in posts, and where your foot goes, you can probably strike it with a rubber mallet. That'll get thru some caliche, but certainly not pound through any rock. For that, maybe pound in a regular T post, the sister the fencing to the t-post? Or if you can't use t-posts, you'd need to jack hammer and set a wooden post.

If you are just making a run and put them away at night in secure area you could use chicken wire and t post. Coyote could still climb or dig under it prolly though. I just don't know how bad your problem is with coyotes and would the run be safe during the day.

I see recommendations on this board for Premier1 type netting and it looks like a wonderful product. However for those of us with very hard ground, the idea of pushing the rods into our dirt is just not going to happen :)

What is a sensible electric fence solution that I should be considering if I want to make an electrified run on hard bare soil in the desert? I am completely new to electric fencing. The predator I want to target is coyotes. Also is electric fencing less effective in arid climates?

edit: I should mention that this is for a suburban setting and the coyotes jump our block walls and chain link fences. My setting is not truly rural.
A water hose can soften up the dirt so you can push them into the soil.
If you use too much water you'll end up with a mud hole.

Unlike Premier this ones got thicker posts which makes it easier to drive in.

Back
Top Bottom