? Bare Butt ?

Jessezgirl96

Chirping
Mar 23, 2018
F08F0A4F-B0DF-4049-997C-A9C30D9A1336.jpeg A0B2878A-FBD1-40CC-B3BA-F472B4D7F3FC.jpeg

Hi All! Got a question ...
I have 5 girls- various breeds all under 1 year. 2 are laying 3 didn’t make it to start before the weather turned colder etc. Everyone seems happy and healthy- No one “molted” in the fall. However, today, I noticed this on both of my laying girls. It’s in the same spot on both girls. In case you ant tell from he pictures it’s just on the underside of her vent. Thoughts? Advice? No one seems to be picking on them. They are in fact the top 2 of the pecking order-
Any thoughts/ tips/ information would be appreciated- I’m a newbie here - in my 1st year of chicken mamma life.

Thanks ♥️

View attachment 1627702 View attachment 1627701

Hi All! Got a question ...
I have 5 girls- various breeds all under 1 year. 2 are laying 3 didn’t make it to start before the weather turned colder etc. Everyone seems happy and healthy- No one “molted” in the fall. However, today, I noticed this on both of my laying girls. It’s in the same spot on both girls. In case you ant tell from he pictures it’s just on the underside of her vent. Thoughts? Advice? No one seems to be picking on them. They are in fact the top 2 of the pecking order-
Any thoughts/ tips/ information would be appreciated- I’m a newbie here - in my 1st year of chicken mamma life.

Thanks ♥️

My ladies do that when the molt

Have had several birds with bare butts/bellies...has nothing to do with molt, tho those feathers should grow when they do molt.
I think they themselves, and/or their flock mates, pick those soft feathers to eat.
I don't worry about it, as long as the birds show no other signs of illness.

Could be feather shaft mites...impossible to see and can't be treated topically.

Could be a side effect of other external pests.
Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Have had several birds with bare butts/bellies...has nothing to do with molt, tho those feathers should grow when they do molt.
I think they themselves, and/or their flock mates, pick those soft feathers to eat.

Could be feather shaft mites...impossible to see and can't be treated topically.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wow!!
Thanks!

Thanks I will check on this tonight!
I have !! Keeping my eyes open for stuff like this because I am such an amateur.

Back
Top Bottom