Bargain Day old chicks review from Meyer Hatchery

Predoggg

Songster
Mar 8, 2023
South Carolina
We are raising chickens for the first time and decided to do the Day old Bargain from Meyer Hatchery. We had been asking local breeders for pullets and chickens and were told sorry not this year. Our local TSC's sell all their chickens, ducks and turkeys within 1 hour of delivery.

The hatch day was Jan. 23rd and we received the chickens the next day. What a positive surprise. We checked the chickens in the post office and 1 of the 15 did not look to good and we were not sure if it will make it. Meyer Hatchery did ship the chickens with a powder which we gave them all. The weak one made it thanks to the powder. It is mixed with water and contains minerals, probiotics and electrolytes.
We did receive 5 yellow, 5 brown and 5 black chickens. All were right away drinking and eating and chirping around (beside the weak one). The weak one was doing better the next day and recovered from the stress. All of them are doing good today and growing well.

What we liked about it was the cost. They are straight run only and no vaccination since they pack them and get them out with the days shipment. It is also great to see them grow and identifying the breed and sex they are. The positive aspect is that you look up all the different breeds and start learning about them. The downside is that you do not know how many roosters you will get or what breed.

Overall it is fun for us to see them grow and see what we got. The chickens are developing good and the shipment came faster as expected.

A few pictures of them and we like to hear from you if you did it too.

Attachments

• chick 1.jpg
    chick 1.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 40
  • chick 2.jpg
    chick 2.jpg
    809.7 KB · Views: 10
  • chick 3.jpg
    chick 3.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 9
  • chick 4.jpg
    chick 4.jpg
    921.5 KB · Views: 12
We are raising chickens for the first time and decided to do the Day old Bargain from Meyer Hatchery. We had been asking local breeders for pullets and chickens and were told sorry not this year. Our local TSC's sell all their chickens, ducks and turkeys within 1 hour of delivery.

The hatch day was Jan. 23rd and we received the chickens the next day. What a positive surprise. We checked the chickens in the post office and 1 of the 15 did not look to good and we were not sure if it will make it. Meyer Hatchery did ship the chickens with a powder which we gave them all. The weak one made it thanks to the powder. It is mixed with water and contains minerals, probiotics and electrolytes.
We did receive 5 yellow, 5 brown and 5 black chickens. All were right away drinking and eating and chirping around (beside the weak one). The weak one was doing better the next day and recovered from the stress. All of them are doing good today and growing well.

What we liked about it was the cost. They are straight run only and no vaccination since they pack them and get them out with the days shipment. It is also great to see them grow and identifying the breed and sex they are. The positive aspect is that you look up all the different breeds and start learning about them. The downside is that you do not know how many roosters you will get or what breed.

Overall it is fun for us to see them grow and see what we got. The chickens are developing good and the shipment came faster as expected.

A few pictures of them and we like to hear from you if you did it too.
Are you saying you wanna know the breed? Or do you know what breed they are.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My chickens were all special needs or unwanted chicks, so I can relate to your sense of discovery and interest in learning about them as you go. Good luck with your birds and I hope you didn't get too many roos ;)

Are you saying you wanna know the breed? Or do you know what breed they are.
Yes, I will need help with some of them to identify what breed and sex. I do know that I got 3 Light Brahmas (2 roosters, 1 hen), 2 Welsummer (2 hen) and 1 blue laced red Wyondotte (hen). The rest do we suspect 2 New Hampshire reds, Silver laced Wyondotte, Mottled Houdan, 2 Meyers Eggers, 1 Partridge Penedesenca. I will do a new post with their pictures. Still need to get better one of them.

Back
Top Bottom