Barn almost caught on fire!

TheBigWRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Wenatchee, Washington
My dad made a fire to burn some trash today right by my barn. So tonight my mom told him to hose it down before they went to bed because it was windy, and of course my lazy dad said no.Then at 10pm I was reading this web site, heard the wind, and looked outside. Hundreds of sparks were flying everywhere! I ran outside and two things were on fire, so I stomped on them and burned the bottom of my shoe. We hosed everything down really well, so hopefully nothing else will happen. I'm just glad it happened while I was still awake, I could have lost my barn!

Two weeks ago a man lost his horse to a barn fire near Nashville after the exact same thing. He thought it was safe to go into the house and not drench the burn pile first. While he was inside the fire spread and caught the barn on fire.

A couple of weeks ago, my inlaws lost thier 100 year old barn and all thier animals (4 goats, 3 elpaccas) to an electrical fire. Thier brand new massey tractor was in there and it wasn't insured yet!!! It was brutal. Poor things. They are going to rebuild in steal this time. You are so lucky that you caught it. Good for you for being on the ball. It is a horrible experience. The new barn goes up this spring.

P.S. I'm trying to convince my Mother in law to get chickens. She's still resisting. I think they are going to get sheep. She spins and stuff. There is wool everywhere over at her place!

Back
Top Bottom