Barn coop ventilation questions

Fetz

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2023
Hi everyone, hoping to get some opinions and recommendations about building a coop in my barn. My wife and I just moved this fall and we are hoping to start with 10-15 layers this spring. I'd like to build with space to expand the flock to 25-30. I don't anticipate having more than that.

Our property has an old (probably 100yrs) but study barn. It has electricity and it's own well. We are considering converting one of the stalls into a coop (first picture). This is on the NW corner of the barn.

I think we will be able to convert the stall fairly easily, except in regards to ventilation. There is a boarded off hardware cloth screen window on the north wall that can be removed, but that's about the only option we have. There's a hayloft over all the stalls which I could cut a hole in and open up to exhaust through the cupola on the roof, or install an exhaust fan and run it out the side, but I'd prefer not to use mechanical ventilation.

We are not fully committed to this plan yet and may build a stand-alone coop and run but we hate to let all this space go to waste.

Do you guys think we can get adequate ventilation in this space?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20240108-174059.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240108-174059.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20231105_081602_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_081602_Maps.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 17
It may be drafty. If it is drafty then it already has ventilation. You could put hardware cloth over the windows. Also, some hardware cloth on the cupola, either above the roof to keep birds out of, or what would be the roof itself/floor of cupola. The cupola will do a good job of allowing ventilation. That is why it is there. Horses put out a lot more ammonia than a few chickens. A draft is naturally created by having the cupola at the highest point. It works the same way a chimney does.

It's good to see a good barn being used.

Hardware cloth over the window, with a way to close off the window in bad weather, or have a flap over the window that can be raised/lowered. Cover the rafter space over the stall with some type of screen to keep birds/rodents from easy access. You could convert that dutch door to a screened bottom panel and/or fully HW cloth screened door. Think about the weather extremes you'll experience and plan for all. I'd get some interlocking stall mats, or at least some stall mats from Tractor Supply to completely cover the stall floor, since you have a nice containment effect from the concrete foundation. Then use whatever bedding works (i.e. flake shavings) over that. Easy to clean. Are the stall walls full-height wood? Consider replacing one or more walls some type of full height 2x4 frame covered with HW cloth. Great-looking barn!

There should already be a chute opening to get the hay from the loft level to the stall level. It won't matter if it is not directly above the stall. So you shouldn't need to cut another hole.

Most big old barns like that have enough airflow through cracks and such to not need more openings cut into the sides - whether or not you can feel drafts. It is a good thing, for the building to breath.

Also, there is so much volume inside that barn that it doesn't need much airflow to given abundant ventilation to a few chickens. Or even quite a few chickens. It is much different airflow dynamics than are the case with just barely big enough buildings.

I miss daily going into big old barns with livestock in them.

There's a chute and ladder (must be what the board game was named after) in the middle of the isle, around 10-15ft from this stall. Maybe 30in by 30in in size, centered under the cupola. That is the only opening. I am a little worried that might not be adequate, but I suppose I can always wait and see how it works before I go cutting holes.

With no agricultural background I do feel like I am lacking a sense of appreciation for the barn. Aside from the electric conduit and lights, it feels like you are going back in time when you step in there. The old pulley system is even up in the loft still.

Back
Top Bottom