Coop ventilation question

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
Hoping someone can answer a few questions regarding adequate ventilation on this coop. I originally purchased it for a temporary until my larger coop/run was completed. Then chicken math came and well figured I might as well get chicks for this onešŸ˜Œ. It came with ventilation on 3 sides, but not the back. Chickens did well with it in winter, but I added some small holes on all 4 sides during the hot summer and used a mesh door I made. Now that winter is here, I put the door back on. Iā€™m wondering if I messed up the designed ventilation and/or should leave the mesh door on. Ventilation vs warmth? Iā€™m not understanding cross ventilation. They have a large run for daytime, but I close them up at night. I am attaching photos (sorry for the dirty door-rained today) with a link to the coop for details. (Both sides are the same). Iā€™ve tried both sand and pine shavings, but it appears shaving is better as sand was very dusty. I have 7 chickens utilizing it. Thanks for your input. Itā€™s great IMG_8644.jpeg IMG_8645.jpeg IMG_8643.jpeg to have you all to turn to for help when needed.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...yyXHTmr9mFTcv_5CaDBoC9XoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

X3, that's not ventilation.
You don't want your coop to be warm, you want ventilation and to avoid breezes hitting your birds.
I'd cut out a 4" strip under the roof, from edge to edge, on atleast two sides and you'll be close to what you need in terms of ventilation. Cover with hardware cloth, of course.
It's also way too small.
I'd move up your plans on a proper coop, prefab cause nothing but issues.

I see no discernible ventilation at all. Are you referring to those small slots? Ventilation is measured in sq ft, not inches.
This is what they advertise:
this item has ventilation slits on the front and both sides of the unit.
Suggestions on venting? Cut rectangle windows on 2 sides? Will it be too cold if put mesh door back on?

This is what they advertise:
this item has ventilation slits on the front and both sides of the unit.
Suggestions on venting? Cut rectangle windows on 2 sides? Will it be too cold if put mesh door back on?
definitely more ventilation. You can cut out a triangle following the roof line and then another parallel to the ground and cover it with mesh/wire. No it will not be too cold they can survive with 0 shelter if temperature was the only factor.

X3, that's not ventilation.
You don't want your coop to be warm, you want ventilation and to avoid breezes hitting your birds.
I'd cut out a 4" strip under the roof, from edge to edge, on atleast two sides and you'll be close to what you need in terms of ventilation. Cover with hardware cloth, of course.
It's also way too small.
I'd move up your plans on a proper coop, prefab cause nothing but issues.
Thank you, I will cut out strips per your recommendation.They only sleep in it currently, but I will move them to big coop as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom