Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I see what I guess is 1 roo and 2 pullets there! Can't see the chests of the other ones tho.
Thanks, I should look them all over later or tomorrow and see, I think 3-4 are pullets based on their winds but I should see how that matches up to their chest colors. I'm not keeping any boys from this hatch :( hoping someone around here wants them :-/

Im new to all of this and dont have any roos yet. I just started hatching tho so have been thinking about getting one. My husband is afraid they'll be aggressive, but I tried to explain thats why Im sticking with dual purpose. :p Aggressive equals stew.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I am from northeastern ohio. This is my first time with Barnevelders. I ordered 5 b/b/s double laced narnevelders from blue house farm. Out of the 5 i have 4 roosters. One is splash i am not positive on others yet. They are 4 weeks old. If anyone is searching for a rooster in my area please let me know!!

Hi! So I have 7 chicks that are getting close to two weeks, anyone willing to look at them and guess genders? I have such a hard time with waiting and I thought some great eyes might see something :)

Once mine turned 3 weeks it was obvious who was who. Males got really red combs...my swedish flower hens on the other hand are 5 weeks and i still am not sure
1f61e.png
good luck. Hope you have a better outcome than me...1 female and 4 males lol.

I would love to see pics!

i'm guessing girls?
I'm guessing boys?
They're 2/3? Weeks I can't remember off the top of my head it's been a long week... They're growing though. They're miffed here because I took off their leg bands that were keeping them not mixed in with the mix breed chicks we hatched. They're separate now though, and I will pull the cockerels when I'm sure so they're spread out over a few large brooders. I'm pretty pleased since we've only managed to get 7 chicks from them so far but I hope in a few days I can tell for sure!!

Once mine turned 3 weeks it was obvious who was who. Males got really red combs...my swedish flower hens on the other hand are 5 weeks and i still am not sure
1f61e.png
good luck. Hope you have a better outcome than me...1 female and 4 males lol.
sorry you got so many males :( better one pullet than none though I guess :-/ I can't tell with some breeds for ages though and it's sooo annoying... Soo annoying... I have 14 mix breed chicks that I cannot tell ... It's one of two options... They're ALL rock x Sussex and the brown and gray ones are pullets and the striped ones are cockerels... Or the brown ones are those and the striped ones are rock x rock... But I'm looking at them growing out and I think they might all be from the Sussex hens... They for sure all have the same dad so that's something ... Maddening lol. But they all look sussex esque lol

Back
Top Bottom