Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Wow, @tls_ranch those look GREAT! Really nice birds. I think... that the birds I'm working with, had ancestors from your place. I know it was a good breeder in CA. But your birds are much older and look lots better than mine! Just beautiful.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post. I'm pretty new to chickens. Looking for some insight on my Barnevelder. She's (I hope she) is approximately 11 weeks old. I'm noticing feather changing which I assume is normal but I haven't seen many (or any) Barnevelder hens with the red/brown neck coloring except maybe the roos. Any thoughts on if she is actually a Barnevelder or could she be a mix. Hoping she's a she. Thanks in advance.
20180706_131343.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post. I'm pretty new to chickens. Looking for some insight on my Barnevelder. She's (I hope she) is approximately 11 weeks old. I'm noticing feather changing which I assume is normal but I haven't seen many (or any) Barnevelder hens with the red/brown neck coloring except maybe the roos. Any thoughts on if she is actually a Barnevelder or could she be a mix. Hoping she's a she. Thanks in advance. View attachment 1457754
Is that a single comb. I hatched one out of some breeder eggs last year that ended up with that light brown coloring around the head and chest. I don't care for the look myself and I don't think it's correct. If yours has a single comb, than you may have to wait until it starts laying. A barnevelder should lay a darker egg.

Forgot to add, your bird is still young so wait a bit until it's adult feathers come in too. Things can change a bit.

Is that a single comb. I hatched one out of some breeder eggs last year that ended up with that light brown coloring around the head and chest. I don't care for the look myself and I don't think it's correct. If yours has a single comb, than you may have to wait until it starts laying. A barnevelder should lay a darker egg.

Forgot to add, your bird is still young so wait a bit until it's adult feathers come in too. Things can change a bit.

Yes, it's a single comb. I agree, I'm not crazy about the look. I think I'll know more when she starts laying.

Back
Top Bottom