Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Just a pic of one of my blue hens..I haven't posted a pic of her since she was a younger pullet. She is just starting to moult and it shows off her lacing. She is a darker blue and has very little "shafting" on her breast feathers. It's a challenge to get even lacing from breast to tail, without shafting and having clean lacing without mossy/peppering (especially on the inner lace). Each generation seems to be improving so I'm happy with that:)

One of my blue hens that is still laying (What a good girl, LOL). She was hatched a bit later than the ones moulting so hopefully she'll keep laying until late next summer or fall before moulting. She has decent lacing, but she has a bit of "shafting" going on. Hopefully that will be corrected in the next generation.

wow stunning

Just a pic of one of my blue hens..I haven't posted a pic of her since she was a younger pullet. She is just starting to moult and it shows off her lacing. She is a darker blue and has very little "shafting" on her breast feathers. It's a challenge to get even lacing from breast to tail, without shafting and having clean lacing without mossy/peppering (especially on the inner lace). Each generation seems to be improving so I'm happy with that:)

One of my blue hens that is still laying (What a good girl, LOL). She was hatched a bit later than the ones moulting so hopefully she'll keep laying until late next summer or fall before moulting. She has decent lacing, but she has a bit of "shafting" going on. Hopefully that will be corrected in the next generation.

The feathers on this bird's breast look amazingly like someone carefully placed and glued each feather on one at a time!
Being a novice, I don't know what shafting is, can you explain?
Thanks!

Quote: Thanks:) I love the way the blues look on my property with all the oaks and manzanita:) They look like they've been made to blend in with the native plants.

Do you see the lighter center of the feather shaft on her breast feathers? "Shafting" is where the feather shaft is a lighter color than the "base"' color which in this case is the red/gold color.

These pics show better lacing with no "shafting" . This blue feather does show some "peppering" or mossyness in the red ground color. This is not as "clean" as the black/red feather below. Ideally the blue should be as clean as the black. That is something I'm working on:)

Thanks:) I love the way the blues look on my property with all the oaks and manzanita:) They look like they've been made to blend in with the native plants.

Do you see the lighter center of the feather shaft on her breast feathers? "Shafting" is where the feather shaft is a lighter color than the "base"' color which in this case is the red/gold color.

These pics show better lacing with no "shafting" . This blue feather does show some "peppering" or mossyness in the red ground color. This is not as "clean" as the black/red feather below. Ideally the blue should be as clean as the black. That is something I'm working on:)

Okay, very good explanations. Tomorrow I'm going to look more closely at my girl and see if I can make out the things you've shown me here.
Thank you!

Thanks:) I love the way the blues look on my property with all the oaks and manzanita:) They look like they've been made to blend in with the native plants.

almost like a piece of art.

does anyone have any experience with the blue barnevelders at Fancy chick?
someone local to me is selling some on craigs list that she got from them

Last edited:
For education purposes, continuing with the lesson from TLS above, I tried to get some pictures of my girl Betsy. She really didn't want to participate by holding still, of course.

Is this "shafting" where I've drawn the arrows? And can you tell me anything else about her feathers... terms I can learn?

Here are 2 more pictures of her, again not holding still. Can you tell me anything about her lines or shape that would be useful for me to learn. I'm a total novice but would like to begin learning some basics.

Thank you very much!

This pic was shared by Dr Bjorn Netland via the Dutch Barnevelder club. It shows a hen with the light shafting and poor inner lace. Peppering is when there is black specks in the red/gold base color. The goal is lacing with clean inner and outer lacing, no light shafting, and no peppering in the ground color. Shafting usually shows up the most in the breast. Peppering can show up anywhere but I usually see it show up in the saddle area.

Lacing can also change as a hen ages and with each moult. I have one hen that had exceptional lacing clear though her tail feathers as pullet. Now that she has had 2 complete fall moults she has some peppering showing up in her saddle and tail feathers.

Trisha

Hey everybody, I was hoping to get some opinions/critique on my Bantam Barnevelder soon to be cock. Type? Color? Thank you
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom