Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Yep, mom was a from Ideal Poultry, she is a laying machine, not the best looking BR but a good layer. Not sure of the exact color of there eggs, they are brow but she did not say how dark.
They have a green sheen ALL over with some brown lacing mixed it. Very pretty birds! I almost kept them, but I was after the boys not the girls :)

I'd be super interested to find out if they are darker than the average brown egg! Is there any possibility you might be able to find out still?

And Merry Christmas to you!

My FIRST Barnevelder Egg from my Trisha Babies
wee.gif
, lightest one is Speckled Sussex, next is Silver Penciled Plymouth Rock, the darkest and oooohhhhh so pretty one is the Barnie egg.

For anyone interested, these are the cross I did a while back. I sold all the pullets (5) to one lady she sent me a pic back in October, finally figured out how to get it from Text to my PC LOL! Anyway, the Rooster was a Barnevelder, the hen a Barred Plymouth Rock, the result was sex linked babies. She said they are laying machines, at least 4 every day and most days 5.

Nice pullet egg:) I got a nice surprise today with a new pullet egg too. It was a "blue pullet", not quite as dark as yours, but with some speckles. Those barnie "sex-links" look like some classy chickens. My sis is going to hatch out some "sex-links" from one of her marans she got from Ideal. She also got a really neat barnie x australorp pullet this year. All black, but with amazing sheen.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Trisha

Nice pullet egg:) I got a nice surprise today with a new pullet egg too. It was a "blue pullet", not quite as dark as yours, but with some speckles. Those barnie "sex-links" look like some classy chickens. My sis is going to hatch out some "sex-links" from one of her marans she got from Ideal. She also got a really neat barnie x australorp pullet this year. All black, but with amazing sheen.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Trisha
I know, I was shocked at how big it was for a pullet egg! Yep, those girls look really good. Their brother is that Barred Roo I have that looks so good. Kind of wish I had not gotten rid of them, but if I had not then I could not have your girls LOL!!!! However, thinking of repeating the mix this spring..... when I posted them on CL they sold like hot cakes and I had a bunch of others interested. Of course it could have been the super cheap price for 12 week old pullets, I think I had all 5 for $55. A Deal here in Austin
big_smile.png

Now what do we do about egg eaters? I know I should probably just eliminate her, but she is my only Johan hen. Yikes! Any hints? Aya

Now what do we do about egg eaters? I know I should probably just eliminate her, but she is my only Johan hen. Yikes! Any hints? Aya
I've only had one or two that ate eggs. I culled:( But I've heard that upping the protein in their diet with meat based protein helps. Also make sure they are getting plenty of oyster shell. Sometimes a tad more salt in the diet helps too (someone said that awhile back). You could put her in a pen/coop with a roll out nest box. You can find plans to build a roll out nest box here on the BYC or even buy ready made roll-out nest boxes.

You can also try to make sure the nest area is darker and hang curtains etc. That way any eggs are less likely to tempt other hens. I've also heard of people trying clip on blinders (usually used for feather picking). Blown out eggs filled with nasty tasting filling. And ceramic fake eggs that teach the hens that eggs are hard when pecked. I don't know what would work best for you...so I tried to think of pretty much everything I've heard of....

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom