Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Despite the mud I got some decent pics of some of my flock today.

Pretty nice black cockerel from the blue project. He's 5th generation. He's just getting his tail feathers in.

Big blue cockerel (sibling to the black cockerel above). He's the biggest and tallest of his hatch mates, but still needs to get his tail feathers in.

Light blue cockerel (sibling to the cockerels above) Very stout and wide. A bit too much of a fluffy bottom, but still a nice boy. He's also just growing in his tail.

A black pullet (sister to the cockerels above). Pardon her huge crop, she just finished pigging out on Christmas leftovers. Nice lacing though and a very stout girl. I think she's going to start laying very soon.

My dark blue cockerel...his legs are getting back to being more yellow..more green grass to eat:)

A nice barnie pullet....eggs very soon I hope:)

Lastly, My old KC hen. Great lacing...don't know if she'll lay this spring, but hopefully she will. She just finished growing back her feathers from moulting.

Trisha

Now what do we do about egg eaters? I know I should probably just eliminate her, but she is my only Johan hen. Yikes! Any hints? Aya
You can purchase Roll Out nest boxes or build your own. Roll out nest boxes are ideal for egg eaters because once the egg is laid, it rolls out of harms way.

QCsupply sell them: http://www.qcsupply.com/advancedsearch/result/?q=roll+out or you can build your own. Here is a youtube video I found.

Good Luck

We have been getting tons of rain lately. At times the local roads have been flooded with streams flowing where there there aren't supposed to be any streams. Luckily, we live on a hill, but mud is every where. Water is bubbling out of gopher holes and random spots all over our property. Wish some of this rain would head over your way Rachael...especially since you still have a drought.

Trisha

Sounds like to much of a good thing, LOL! Yep, still super dry here, told DS we can't do fireworks this year for New Years, we might get some sparklers or something similar, he is not happy but understands.

I was watching the Barnie girls today and they just have the best green sheen, I love these girls
love.gif

Despite the mud I got some decent pics of some of my flock today.

Pretty nice black cockerel from the blue project. He's 5th generation. He's just getting his tail feathers in.

Big blue cockerel (sibling to the black cockerel above). He's the biggest and tallest of his hatch mates, but still needs to get his tail feathers in.

Light blue cockerel (sibling to the cockerels above) Very stout and wide. A bit too much of a fluffy bottom, but still a nice boy. He's also just growing in his tail.

Lastly, My old KC hen. Great lacing...don't know if she'll lay this spring, but hopefully she will. She just finished growing back her feathers from moulting.

Trisha
Why do you have to live clear on the other side of the friggin country. I want a cockerel from you in the worst way. but I think it would be cruel to ship on that far. sigh.

Trisha- Love that light blue cockerel!
Thanks Steve,
He's a nice boy. I know he's not the "balanced" medium blue color blues should be, but I love the contrast of his dark hackles with his lighter blue body. He also has nice darker red coloring without brassyness. He had a nice full tail...before he lost it for his last juvenile moult. There's still 2 remaining tail feathers sticking up....I keep wanting to pluck them and let the new ones grow in LOL. He's broad like his daddy too and has nice yellow legs. All three cockerels still have some growing to do.

My big blue roo is passing on wider backs, breasts and saddle areas. These boys have "manly" legs too..nice thick and yellow. LOL. It's still hard to see the width these guys have in pictures.

Light blue cockerel (left), black cockerel (middle), blue "daddy" roo (right).

I like the head and comb on the light blue cockerel too. Please excuse the pumpkin pie on his beak (Christmas leftovers).

Trisha

Thanks, on the egg eater problem. All good ideas. Also I am going to separate her from the rooster. He might be the culprit. Darkening the nesting area and fake eggs will be the first attack. Then eggs with nasty stuff if the first three don't work. Aya

Back
Top Bottom