Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

So where did you get your start from? Hatchery? Breeder?

I have Johan line/strain and they are medium brown and not what I would consider great layers. I did find a commercial hen and hatched out some chicks from her but they all turned out with really nice coloring but the eggs are a bit darker.

So I hope this year 30 pullets start to lay well for me. I save two males from the darkest egg, two that were totally Johan, and two I got from Karen. We shall see what this year brings.

I went to connecticut and got a doz eggs from Mrs. Johan. I missed seeing the man himself by two weeks! Out of that doz I got 3. The roosters are now my breeding stock. One hen. So I have a clean Johan line started. Then I got some eggs from TLS ranch and of those two hens survived the fox attack. So that is the other line. Johan rooster, tls hens. I'm hoping the hens will give the next generation rooster a higher tail set. They are a nice confirmation.
Was that the answer you were needing?
Aya

Got a new pic today of my big blue cockerel. He is starting to look really nice.

I like several things about this boy:

Thick yellow legs (manly legs ...not princess legs LOL)
He is big and tall (bigger than all the cockerels I have hatched) and yet carries some decent breast muscle too.
He has no white fluff at the base of his tail.
Hackles match saddle in color and with out brassiness
Does not have excessive fluff in his bottom (much more barnevelder than wyandotte)
Good tail set (not too low or high) although I would like it a little fuller, but he still is young.
Good under color / under fluff color. He has grey color rather than white which has been a problem with some of the barnie lines.
Decent comb
Nice mannered to hens and kids:)

I do want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments on my birds. I wanted to comment on many of the posts of others birds too and things like Aya's new barnie website too. But, we've been so busy.. I barely have time to look at things here on the BYC on my ipad and I really don't like to post from the ipad. Right now I have to run and go pick my daughter up from school LOL. Hopefully I'll get caught up and start posting more:)

Oh, I'm starting to sell some hatching eggs again. I should have some orders for blues available over the next few weeks and maybe some pures once I get everyone from the "pure" wait list filled.

Trisha

He is gorgeous Trisha!!

I cant wait to start hatching some beautiful boys like that!!
I might want to buy a few blues from you To get a head start on. Please keep me in mind when you catch up your orders. :D

I was responding from a post in 2009. bluehen...

I have a decent flock of double laced but looking for someone to talk to about different things going on. Mainly what is your or their egg production like? Consistent laying or very seasonal. Looking for some ideas on breeding.

Rob
Rob,

So nice to see you here!!! I cannot be home much to get online except every few days. I miss so much forum chats but always check on here first since I only have a few minutes. Hopeful that Mother in Law will get situated in the next few months and I can try to make up for the last year or so of trying to be too many places at the same time =:~)

Barnevelders really need a breed club to get up and running again. Preserve, Protect, and Promote Barnevelders

k/

Got a new pic today of my big blue cockerel. He is starting to look really nice. I like several things about this boy: Thick yellow legs (manly legs ...not princess legs LOL) He is big and tall (bigger than all the cockerels I have hatched) and yet carries some decent breast muscle too. He has no white fluff at the base of his tail. Hackles match saddle in color and with out brassiness Does not have excessive fluff in his bottom (much more barnevelder than wyandotte) Good tail set (not too low or high) although I would like it a little fuller, but he still is young. Good under color / under fluff color. He has grey color rather than white which has been a problem with some of the barnie lines. Decent comb Nice mannered to hens and kids:) I do want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments on my birds. I wanted to comment on many of the posts of others birds too and things like Aya's new barnie website too. But, we've been so busy.. I barely have time to look at things here on the BYC on my ipad and I really don't like to post from the ipad. Right now I have to run and go pick my daughter up from school LOL. Hopefully I'll get caught up and start posting more:) Oh, I'm starting to sell some hatching eggs again. I should have some orders for blues available over the next few weeks and maybe some pures once I get everyone from the "pure" wait list filled. Trisha
Hey Trisha. How old is that Boy?

Back
Top Bottom