Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I have been eyeing Barnies for almost three years now and I am ready to start a small flock. I tried to get started with them last year, bought four really nice hens, but lost three of them to preditors over the last few months. If it wasn't one thing, it was something else...grr. Anyway, the coop is tight and preditor proof (I surely hope it is anyway!) and I keep telling myself that I am going to get my Barnie flock going this year! I really want to help preserve and improve this wonderful breed!

Even just a week old Barnies are beautiful. That first pattern is so pretty. Aya

So adorable! They are beautiful chicks. It's so neat to see the lacing peek out from under all the chick fluff.

Diamondust, I am so sorry to hear you lost your hens. I hope you are able to start again this year!

I have been eyeing Barnies for almost three years now and I am ready to start a small flock. I tried to get started with them last year, bought four really nice hens, but lost three of them to preditors over the last few months. If it wasn't one thing, it was something else...grr. Anyway, the coop is tight and preditor proof (I surely hope it is anyway!) and I keep telling myself that I am going to get my Barnie flock going this year! I really want to help preserve and improve this wonderful breed!
we lost two of our first batch to predators,too...so frustratin,I know. Good luck second time around!!!
Even just a week old Barnies are beautiful. That first pattern is so pretty. Aya

we have 10 day olds and they are just the cutest!!!
but unfotunately,looks like 2 girls and 7 boys.
th.gif
i hate when I know so many are just destined for freezer camp.

Last edited:
Quote: You can make an educated guess with the sex of barnies at hatch by looking at the breast down. Males generally have white or cream colored chests. Females have grayish darker chests. This is not completely 100% accurate and then by 4 weeks you should be able to tell as males start feathering different and usually start to get their combs pretty early. I've had some cockerels even crow at 4 weeks, LOL.

So, in the pic below the chicks are girl/boy/girl/boy.

Not sure what part of the East Coast you are in but you might see if Barbra (Johan Van Achterberg) is selling eggs out of her husband’s group of birds or not. She live in Connecticut. The web site says she will be selling eggs at farm pick up only. I have heard several people have driven up there to visit her and picked up eggs. Here is the old e-mail and web site...just not sure if it is still going or not.

[email protected]

http://www.ctbiofarmer.com/barnevelder.php

or someone on the yahoo group might be able to help you out.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/[email protected]&iref=K_LiNdMOhrdiDhgYeGHmyMR08Uc

Hope that gives you some help in finding some Barnevelders.

Hello DiamondDust! Welcome to BYC! What part of the state are you from? I have just one Barney and I'm in Kitsap. Good luck starting your new flock!

Back
Top Bottom