Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I am wondering if the price is just for blue chicks or do they include " black/standard" and splash chicks too. I can't tell my blue chicks from the black chicks until they are several days old at least. Even then they can fool you as it can be really hard to tell for sure.

Maybe it is always blue if they do the splash/black only matings?

But I do not see splash or black birds in their photos however.

I am wondering if the price is just for blue chicks or do they include " black/standard" and splash chicks too. I can't tell my blue chicks from the black chicks until they are several days old at least. Even then they can fool you as it can be really hard to tell for sure.

Looks like Blue roo over Std hens so should produce BBS.

I think it would be beneficial for us to infuse the imported blood into our birds, No?

Last edited:
I have thought about doing that but not to sure as to how hard or expensive is it to import? How did you find your contact persons (those who had the birds you wanted)? Are you importing Adult birds or hatching eggs? I really would love to import some Columbian Wyandottes that I have seen on line but feel like I really need to go to Germany to see them live before I did that.

Thanks
Rob

Regardless of what line or the original outcross all the blues need work. The double laced pattern is hard to perfect and the blues make it even harder. From what I've read from his own posts.. Bluehenhatchery said in the past that he used Blue/Gold laced Orpingtons as an outcross to get his Blue double laced Barnevelders . Bluehenhatchery did claim he imported both Blue/Gold Laced orpingtons illegally (from what he himself has admitted) and imported blue barnevelders. Both said to be imported sometime around 2007. I can't verify any of this information. But he did post about and mention some of this on open forums and to other breeders. I don't want to step on anyones toes, but still there's a bit of mystery about all of that.

I remember being very excited with Bluehenhatchery posting about his "first ever" blue barnevelder pullet in Oct of 2009 (at the time he said it had Blue/gold laced orpington blood in it). This pic was posted on another forum.

Here is a pic of Bluehenhatchery's "first ever blue pullet" from October 2009.

Obviously there has been a lot of work and improvement to the Bluehenhatchery line since this pullet. Even with pure Barnevelders and "proven" lines (imported or not) there is ALWAYS the need to select and breed for improvement. I will probably hatch well over a 100 chicks this year in order to keep improving my lines. I am constantly evaluating and re-evaluating my flock from everything from egg quality (size, gloss, color,shell quality), rate of lay, size, color, lacing, leg color, lacing, vigor, meat, type, personality and every ting else I can think of LOL.

Trisha

edited to add: LOL, I listed lacing twice in that last rambling sentence....well it is very important
roll.png

Snapped a few pics today.

so pretty

Since I am new to Barnevelders, where can I find the breed standard?

Also is there a list of quality barnevelder breeders? I am waiting for some barnie chicks in May :) But they are only five of them! LOL I do not mind a handful of splashes also.

Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom