Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

HI, have noticed that you also list Beilfelders, Enjoyed the pictures, any of adult birds ??? Thanks everyone for posting the lovely pics, Barny's are just awesomely beautiful birds.!

Hi.
Im not sure if your were refering to Barnevelder or Bielefelder adult pics.... My bielefelders are still juvenile. about 22-24 weeks old. And yes I have barnevelder pictures in my BYC album and also on my website.

Thanks!!

Very pretty ladies Rachael:) I have to admit that when I see nice birds from the hatching eggs I've sold....I want them back, LOL. It really hits me that I wish I could hatch every single egg and raise out every single chick all for my own, LOL. But that would be a bit selfish
hide.gif
I keep reminding myself that more and more people are raising these beautiful birds. I think it's wonderful that more people are breeding or even just keeping Barnevelders in their flock. They were so hard to find just a few years ago.

I probably sold "THE ONE" or even several of them this year as hatching eggs with the orders I've sent out so far. You know..."the one" out of all the chicks that is perfect or rather exactly what I'm looking for in this year's offspring. This time of year I start feeling like some of the oldtimers did...not wanting to let chicks or eggs go because of the potential for "the one" inside those shells or little fluffy butts. LOL, BUT I just can't hatch every egg
roll.png
As it is my bator is full and soon my brooders will be too. Then, my hens will also go broody (some are already growling, but not serious yet) and I will be overrun with young stock. Then the selection for next years breeders starts all over again.

Trisha

PS. Happy Chooks....I'd be happy to take back that first blue pullet too
wink.png
I hope you have a nice hatch of pure barnies to go with your blues too
fl.gif

LOL I bet its hard! I could imagine how you feel all the hard work youve put into this bird through the years. And now finally giving other people your beautiful birds, its a beautiful thing. Thats why its important to continue your start so it will always be here...

And dont worry, Ill be sending you pictures every step of the way to try and find those "The One" chicks!! By now there should be a lot of them. You only choose the best for your breeders!!

Very pretty ladies Rachael:) I have to admit that when I see nice birds from the hatching eggs I've sold....I want them back, LOL. It really hits me that I wish I could hatch every single egg and raise out every single chick all for my own, LOL. But that would be a bit selfish
hide.gif
I keep reminding myself that more and more people are raising these beautiful birds. I think it's wonderful that more people are breeding or even just keeping Barnevelders in their flock. They were so hard to find just a few years ago.

I probably sold "THE ONE" or even several of them this year as hatching eggs with the orders I've sent out so far. You know..."the one" out of all the chicks that is perfect or rather exactly what I'm looking for in this year's offspring. This time of year I start feeling like some of the oldtimers did...not wanting to let chicks or eggs go because of the potential for "the one" inside those shells or little fluffy butts. LOL, BUT I just can't hatch every egg
roll.png
As it is my bator is full and soon my brooders will be too. Then, my hens will also go broody (some are already growling, but not serious yet) and I will be overrun with young stock. Then the selection for next years breeders starts all over again.

Trisha

PS. Happy Chooks....I'd be happy to take back that first blue pullet too
wink.png
I hope you have a nice hatch of pure barnies to go with your blues too
fl.gif

Trisha, I am so happy you do. I love these ladies in my flock. Gave up the breeding idea, you guys amaze me on what you do. However, I am happy to have my eye candy. Also, I changed my post, I had TLC instead of TLS, but TLC makes a LOT of sense also
big_smile.png

I've been wondering, since so many breeders are working on the blue double laced, is there a push to make it a recognized color with APA? Or do you just like the pretty colors? I'm getting some blue double laced chicks from pickledchicken. Really looking forward to them.

I am hoping to find a private breeder in or around St. Louis or that ships. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

I've been wondering, since so many breeders are working on the blue double laced, is there a push to make it a recognized color with APA? Or do you just like the pretty colors? I'm getting some blue double laced chicks from pickledchicken. Really looking forward to them.
I would imagine eventually yes.Would love to see them recognized as an accepted breed. I believe you have to breed them for 5 years before they can be accepted and also a standard has to be written. Im sure someone else here can give more information on that whole process...

I know when they were trying to get Marans accepted, they had to have a bunch of shows and there had to be consistency between the different breeders' birds. I just wasn't sure if the process was the same with a new color, since Barnevelders are already a recognized breed.

Sexing barnevelders 101
big_smile.png
Disclamer: signs may vary and nothing's 100% until you get an egg or it crows....

As day-olds: dark breast= girl, light= boy
Girl, Boy, Girl, Boy
30473_chickens_217.jpg

At around 2 weeks:
Pullet= longer wings almost to tail or past, back feathers starting to come in, longer tail feathers, thin legs.
Roo= short stubby wings, almost no tail, very few back feathers, thicker legs. Maybe already some comb development showing (if you look closely)
Pullet, Roo
30473_blues_064.jpg

At 4+ weeks:
Roos= upright stance, larger thicker body and legs, color/size showing on comb/wattles, less feathering overall (back, wings, tail, breast)
30473_chickens_556.jpg

30473_chickens_570.jpg

Pullets= almost feathered, longer slender body/legs, no comb or wattles.
30473_chickens_560.jpg

30473_chickens_578.jpg

After 6 weeks there should pretty much be no guessing. Only the "odd balls" will be able to fool you.
Trisha

P.S ignore the EE chicks in the background of the pics... they are my sister's EEs that I'm raising for her. They are not from my Barnevelders:)

I know this is an old post. I remembered seeing it a while back when I was reading through the thread, so went to find it so I could ask about this.

My question is - how reliable are these 'queues" - or maybe a better question is, what % of the time do your "scientific guesses" for day old chicks or two week old chicks turn out to be right vs wrong? - Thanks!

From what I have seen both on here and through my limited experience, have only hatched about 30 barnies out, the gray chest is 99% accurate for females, the white chest is about 70% accurate for males. Of course this changes with the lines and who is breeding for what, but at 4 weeks, you can tell with 100% accuracy, those boys really let you know who they are LOL
lau.gif
!

Trisha & Shanna, thanks for posting those pics and commentary. I don't believe I'd seen it before. There's some nice legs on some of those chicks. I definitely like the thicker legs and there's some nice color too.

I just hatched out my first nice batch of F3 Rosecomb Barnies. My F2 male and females look just like Barnies but the RC isn't quite where I want it to be. So I'm kind of excited to see how these chicks turn out. It'll be interesting to see if the white and gray chests hold true to the above. I'm guessing they will.

God Bless,

Royce

Back
Top Bottom