Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Marvin, your very own pic you've posted argues with this point, the male below (to me at least) is clearly wrong just look at that lower hackle and saddle

while this particular male lack good Melanotic showing on saddle and Hackle I wouldnt classify ALL e+/e+ Ml/Ml Pg/Pg males as such, maybe this one is just het for one of the genes(Ml/ml+?)

I would argue that eWh/eWh would have worst effect,

further more arguing my point!
I know and I bad at it..
lol.png

I do see green sheen especially in my darker blue males. The cockerel pictured is the darkest of 3 blues males that I kept from my first hatch this year. I culled all my blue males last year because I ended up with two " standard" Barnevelder males that were superior. One of the males I kept looks to be producing pretty good offspring over all. The oldest offspring are only 12 weeks-old, but I like what I see so far. I will take some pictures of his wings for you. I sprained my ankle really bad yesterday:( I am not sure I can get down to the coop today.

Trisha

thanks Trisha, no hurry with those pics, hope your ankle mends soon.
good to hear that you have a male that your hapy with his progeny.
but that green sheen blue is really interesting, not using interesting as code for 'bad', but interesting as it shows more querks of the barnevelder genotype 

Yes, the blue is especially " quirky" and I bet there are more quirks to the double laced pattern in general in regards to the interactions of modifiers etc. Nutrition, weather, feathering rate, and more environmental effects may even play a role in the expression of the pattern. Hormones maybe as well??? Because I see that my blue hens change pattern qualities after their first molt. Just rambling here, LOL! I would like to talk for hours discussing ideas about each separate topic :oops:

Well, here are some pictures of my male's pattern. Pardon my dirty hands, I was planting in the garden:) my ankle is a little better..at least if I walk really carefully. I think this male is a little too dark overall in pattern.

Underneath the saddle feathers

Breast

Underneath the Hackle feathers.

Wow TLS your blues are AMAZING!

Has anyone started breeding the silvers yet?  I was thinking of fiddling with it next year, but I'd like to not reinvent the horse. 

Thanks:) I think they are pretty birds too. That's why I keep working with the blues. I was working on silvers, but decided to quit that project. I really didn't have the room to work with them. I decided that I'd rather produce 2 colors well than 3 colors badly. My neighbor is going to keep some of the silver project birds going. She likes silver birds and really is more into growing her own food than producing a show quality bird. I will still help her, but any progress will probably be slow. Others like Donna from fossilrock farms and Andy from Mountainveiw orchards have much better and farther along silver projects.

Trisha

Back
Top Bottom