Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I live 20 minutes from seattle washington. Do you have a picture of them?
smile.png

No way! I live in Western Wa too!!! I have Barnie chicks coming out my ears! I hatch my own and if you want eggs from somewhere local let me know! I only have 4 double laced hens and 1 blue (I keep the colors separate) so I don't get a dozen eggs a day but I can certainly help you out. My breeders are from eggs I hatched last year from Trisha at TLS. I'll be at the Mother Earth News fair with my Barnies next weekend too....that's in Puyallup.

DD

No way!  I live in Western Wa too!!!  I have Barnie chicks coming out my ears!  I hatch my own and if you want eggs from somewhere local let me know!  I only have 4 double laced hens and 1 blue (I keep the colors separate) so I don't get a dozen eggs a day but I can certainly help you out.  My breeders are from eggs I hatched last year from Trisha at TLS.  I'll be at the Mother Earth News fair with my Barnies next weekend too....that's in Puyallup. 

DD

Oh my goodness!!! What a blessing! Id love some eggs! Whats this about a show next weekend? Is there a link to find out info and directions?

So, I thought I would post this since I now have hard numbers.

Last month I bought 24 eggs from Sherpagirl, who is Fossil Rock Farms. She very kindly sent me 31 eggs, because as you know I have the double joy of shipping and then trying to hatch at high altitude. My babies starting hatching Friday and Sat. Of the 31 eggs I got two babies. HOWEVER, my hatching partner put all the "duds" into the fridge so that when I came to get the babies I could eggtopsy them (he lives 2000 ft lower then me and that improves our chances). EVERY ONE of those eggs was fertile. I took pics, but really you don't want to see them. Yuck.
sickbyc.gif
I have never done business with Fossil Rock before, she is not my BFF, but I thought it important the folks be reminded that shipping eggs can give you nada. It's hard to remember that when you put them in the incubator because there's so much possibility and it's dang disappointing and sometime traumatic when you get doodly squat for your cash and efforts, but welcome to farming. It will take you to both emotional extremes. When I buy eggs I view it like gambling in Vegas: some days I am all that and some days I get to walk.

So, I thought I would post this since I now have hard numbers.

Last month I bought 24 eggs from Sherpagirl, who is Fossil Rock Farms. She very kindly sent me 31 eggs, because as you know I have the double joy of shipping and then trying to hatch at high altitude. My babies starting hatching Friday and Sat. Of the 31 eggs I got two babies. HOWEVER, my hatching partner put all the "duds" into the fridge so that when I came to get the babies I could eggtopsy them (he lives 2000 ft lower then me and that improves our chances). EVERY ONE of those eggs was fertile. I took pics, but really you don't want to see them. Yuck.
sickbyc.gif
I have never done business with Fossil Rock before, she is not my BFF, but I thought it important the folks be reminded that shipping eggs can give you nada. It's hard to remember that when you put them in the incubator because there's so much possibility and it's dang disappointing and sometime traumatic when you get doodly squat for your cash and efforts, but welcome to farming. It will take you to both emotional extremes. When I buy eggs I view it like gambling in Vegas: some days I am all that and some days I get to walk.

Yes, very true! I was just mentioning what one person had done for me in my case. That was probably three years ago. I'm happy to have gotten even a couple out of my shipped eggs this year (not Barnies this time) and I'm hoping I get a girl! :) It is very important to open the eggs after hatch is over to see what may have gone wrong...it can be gross but...as you say, that's farming.

DD

Oh my goodness!!! What a blessing! Id love some eggs! Whats this about a show next weekend? Is there a link to find out info and directions?

It is at the Puyallup Fairgrounds and is in conjunction with the Mother Earth News Fair. You have to get a ticket to get into the fair though...once you are in the poultry show is free.

Here is a link to the poultry part of it... http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Washington_Poultry_Exhibitors_Invitational.html

I'm going to be bringing three standard Barnies and one Blue hen...I'd love to meet up! I won't be there Saturday though...I'm cooping in on Friday and will be at the Fair on Sunday to coop out.

What part of Western Wa do you live in? I'm down to the southern part of Puget Sound...North Mason Co.

DD

It is at the Puyallup Fairgrounds and is in conjunction with the Mother Earth News Fair.  You have to get a ticket to get into the fair though...once you are in the poultry show is free.

Here is a link to the poultry part of it...  http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/Washington_Poultry_Exhibitors_Invitational.html

I'm going to be bringing three standard Barnies and one Blue hen...I'd love to meet up!  I won't be there Saturday though...I'm cooping in on Friday and will be at the Fair on Sunday to coop out.

What part of Western Wa do you live in?  I'm down to the southern part of Puget Sound...North Mason Co.

DD

Oh ok. Im not sure if I can make it to the show but id still love to meet and get some hatching eggs! I live 15 minutes south of seattle. How far are you from seattle?

Back
Top Bottom