Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

Oh ok. Im not sure if I can make it to the show but id still love to meet and get some hatching eggs! I live 15 minutes south of seattle. How far are you from seattle?

I'm well over an hour from Seattle...south and west, over the Tacoma Narrows bridge. Maybe closer to two hours from Seattle? I don't go to Seattle very often so I'm not sure of how long it takes, lol. PM me and we'll figure out a time and place to meet up and get you some hatching eggs.

DD

I bought 36 eggs from Fossil Rock Farm on the 1st. Only 4 hatched a 1 was deformed... Candled the other eggs and they were infertile... SO DISAPPOINTING!!! I literally cried! I emailed her but haven't received anything back yet...
OK, so I guess it's time to defend myself.

1) First of all I responded within 3 hrs of receiving your email and offered you a very reasonable redo no questions asked.

2)The other person who got eggs from me the same week said that all of the eggs she got were fertile.

3)You told me that you kept your 1588 hovabator at 45%-55% the first 18 days and then increased it to 75% for the last 3 days. That is considerably higher humidity than I use in my 1588.

I really wanted to remain silent on this matter, but I think it's inappropriate to to bash people on an open forum and felt I needed to at least try to clean up some of the damage done to my reputation. I am not raising Barnevelders to try to pocket a bunch of money. It's a hobby (it's usually fun,lol) for me and I feel I offer reasonable prices and I always work with people to satisfy them when things go wrong, my fault or theirs. I love the Barnevelder breed and have enjoyed owning them for 5 years now. I never intended to be a breeder, but so many people wanted them that it was a natural transition and as I learned more about the breed I felt I had the time and compassion to work on improving them.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed, but I felt bad for you too and did offer to make things right.

1) First of all I responded within 3 hrs of receiving your email and offered you a very reasonable redo no questions asked.

2)The other person who got eggs from me the same week said that all of the eggs she got were fertile.

3)You told me that you kept your 1588 hovabator at 45%-55% the first 18 days and then increased it to 75% for the last 3 days. That is considerably higher humidity than I use in my 1588.

I really wanted to remain silent on this matter, but I think it's inappropriate to to bash people on an open forum and felt I needed to at least try to clean up some of the damage done to my reputation. I am not raising Barnevelders to try to pocket a bunch of money. It's a hobby (it's usually fun,lol) for me and I feel I offer reasonable prices and I always work with people to satisfy them when things go wrong, my fault or theirs. I love the Barnevelder breed and have enjoyed owning them for 5 years now. I never intended to be a breeder, but so many people wanted them that it was a natural transition and as I learned more about the breed I felt I had the time and compassion to work on improving them.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed, but I felt bad for you too and did offer to make things right. 

I posted that before you responded to my email. You did make things right. I never come on here unless I have questions or concerns.

So... I have been lurking and learning now for a while. I have this goal of starting at the beginning of the thread and reading, reading, reading until one day I have learned soooo much about Barnevelders that I feel worthy enough to comment. I wanted to make it to page 200 before I conked out for the night. Everyone seems so helpful and supportive of one another and with all the projects the whole thread reads like a novel. I just reached such a sad, sad part of the story, however, when I read that Farmer Johan passed away. In reading all of the kind comments everyone had about him, it is almost like you know a person. I know this is all more than 2 years ago, but gosh... it makes me want to take a break from reading for a while. :( May God bless this man and his family for all that he has done. You all describe him so fondly. I just hatched 5 Barnie chicks (my first Barnies) on Monday and they will probably be full grown by the time I reach the end of the 461 pages in the thread. I just couldn't wait any longer to make a comment. I now will return to silently reading and lurking.....

So... I have been lurking and learning now for a while. I have this goal of starting at the beginning of the thread and reading, reading, reading until one day I have learned soooo much about Barnevelders that I feel worthy enough to comment. I wanted to make it to page 200 before I conked out for the night. Everyone seems so helpful and supportive of one another and with all the projects the whole thread reads like a novel. I just reached such a sad, sad part of the story, however, when I read that Farmer Johan passed away. In reading all of the kind comments everyone had about him, it is almost like you know a person. I know this is all more than 2 years ago, but gosh... it makes me want to take a break from reading for a while.
sad.png
May God bless this man and his family for all that he has done. You all describe him so fondly. I just hatched 5 Barnie chicks (my first Barnies) on Monday and they will probably be full grown by the time I reach the end of the 461 pages in the thread. I just couldn't wait any longer to make a comment. I now will return to silently reading and lurking.....
I hate to share this but the story gets even sadder :-( Since his passing, Farmer Johan's wife, Barbara, has been keeping a flock of Barnevelders. In the past month she has lost her whole flock to a predator, except for one brave hen. I brought the hen, I named Johanna, to my farm last Monday. Barbara is not going to raise chickens anymore :-(

JOHANNA VAN ACHTERBERG

That is so sad. That's great that you brought her last hen home. She can rest assured that you will care for her well. Like ChellFeesh, I have lurked for about 6 weeks now pretty much reading and learing about the breed. I got my first 2 barnevelders in March and they are now 10 weeks old. I just LOVE them. they are so darn smart and learn SO quickly.

Francis and CarolAnn

I went to a small open show this weekend and took three of my Barnevelders, my Cock and two Hens. They were the only Barnies at the show so the BB and RB were no surprise but I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Best Continental that my hen took! I can't wait to show again!

Back
Top Bottom