Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I wish they stood this nicely every time I tried to take their pictures.

Hello, I haven't been on this site in a while, due to a move I had to shut everything down. I'm going to be able to start up again soon and I'm looking at just having 1 breed of chickens and the Barnevelder has my full attention. Its been hard to find birds but I've got a solid source from a place I can pick up from which I'd prefer over shipped chicks. I'm looking at just getting 5-6 birds to start as they are 20$ per, which is still 30$ less, before shipping, then another breeder. I'm in BC if anyone is selling. I'm raising chickens for personal egg use, and the joy of chickens. Any feedback on the breed is very welcomed, hoping for friendly happy egg laying beauties.

Hello, I haven't been on this site in a while, due to a move I had to shut everything down. I'm going to be able to start up again soon and I'm looking at just having 1 breed of chickens and the Barnevelder has my full attention. Its been hard to find birds but I've got a solid source from a place I can pick up from which I'd prefer over shipped chicks. I'm looking at just getting 5-6 birds to start as they are 20$ per, which is still 30$ less, before shipping, then another breeder. I'm in BC if anyone is selling. I'm raising chickens for personal egg use, and the joy of chickens. Any feedback on the breed is very welcomed, hoping for friendly happy egg laying beauties.
I think you have made a great choice with Barnevelders. I have many different breeds in my flock and not only that my Barnevelder hen is the prettiest and most graceful but also her egg is dark and good sized. Here are the breeds I have and their egg colors and average weights:

Red Star- dark brown 72-74 g
BLR Barnevelder - really dark brown 64g
Light Brahmas - cream/light brown 56-58g
Australorps- cream/light brown 56-58g
RIR- pinkish brown 56-58g
Crested Legbars-Sky blue-56-60g
Easter Eggers- 64 g

Between the Red Star and the Barnevelder, I would pick the Barney anyday.

Thank you junibutt, I think they are a beautiful chicken and I'm looking for a brown egg layer with a good temperament for a small flock and the Barnevelder seems right. I was also considering the black copper marans as they are very easy to find where I am and considerably cheeper. I haven't kept chickens in a long time, I was always more fond of Muscovy ducks, but I'm going to give it a go and see if I have a better experience with chickens then last time. My bad experience in chickens really wasn't bad I just found them very stupid and boring compared to ducks, I dont know what breed they were, they were white. I get to pick out my chicks so any information of what to look for is very welcomed, I'm not picking up till May.
I wasn't going to get a rooster but my husband wants one and they are so beautiful I may not be able to say no.

Quick question, I was only going to start with 6 chickens but my husband really wants a rooster. They breeder insists that I need 8-10 hens for a rooster or he will hurt the hens with his attention. Would having 4 or 5 hens and 1 rooster be a mistake? Would it be better to not get a rooster, pen him apart or just keep a bigger flock?

Quick question, I was only going to start with 6 chickens but my husband really wants a rooster. They breeder insists that I need 8-10 hens for a rooster or he will hurt the hens with his attention. Would having 4 or 5 hens and 1 rooster be a mistake? Would it be better to not get a rooster, pen him apart or just keep a bigger flock?
It all depends on the temperament of the rooster, so 5 hens for 1 rooster is not a bad ratio, however if the rooster is very aggressive, the hens may lose some feathers from their back.

P.S. Barney's are way prettier than Marans but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

It all depends on the temperament of the rooster, so 5 hens for 1 rooster is not a bad ratio, however if the rooster is very aggressive, the hens may lose some feathers from their back. 

P.S. Barney's are way prettier than Marans but as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder!"

In full agreement that Barney's are prettier, but I was thinking to just get a few marans to add to the numbers if need be but keep them more for extra eggs and fryers. As barnevelders are a little high priced and I'll probably end up wanting a few meat birds in the end anyways, I just dont want to get overwhelmed with numbers.

It wouldn't be hard to find chickens to add to the flock after the fact, I just need to know how many barnevelders I want as I'll only have them available once this year.

@new2pheasants
Do you want a breed that is friendly? My French Copper Marans are docile and get along with the flock just fine, but they are certainly not friendly with people. They have finally stopped freaking out when we touch their backs while they eat, for instance, but they still prefer to be left alone. If you're looking for affectionate lap chickens, I wouldn't choose Marans. That's my experience, anyway!

@new2pheasants
Oh, and also, if you can have a rooster and you can get a sweet one, they make a wonderful addition to a flock. Your hens will get along better and have some protection, too.

Back
Top Bottom