Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

So that's why people get chicken saddles, I'm so silly, I actually thought it was some sort of fancy way to ID your chickens.
Thank you for this, I've decided to get some barred Plymouth rocks, I FOUND A SOURCE! and do some more research on barnevelders.
I can get 3 pullets for 100$, or straight run chicks for 40$ each or fertilized eggs for 15$ each from a very good heritage breeder or get hatchery birds from another source for 22$ each, so still deciding.
I'm worried about spending a lot of money straight away and having something go wrong with my set up, so I may test with the BPR and see how I do.
Have you checked with
@tls_ranch

She has pics of her flock on this thread and they are gorgeous. You will find their pricing to be very good as well compared to fertilized egg pricing you are getting.

This is one of out Silver laced hens, it has taken around 4 years and 6 generations to get a really sharp silver lacing.
Sorry the picture is only mobile phone quality.

@doublelaced So pretty, I'm not a fan of the blue but the black and the silvers are on my wanted list
Nice chicken!

@junibutt no I have not but I will, I really wanted to avoid shipping but depending on where she is I'll think about it.

I'll probably go with the better stock of the breeder as with the female trio its only 8$ more for better birds, plus I can get silvers and black. My birthday will be at the same time so I may just ask my husband to consider it a gift.

@doublelaced So pretty, I'm not a fan of the blue but the black and the silvers are on my wanted list
Nice chicken!

@junibutt no I have not but I will, I really wanted to avoid shipping but depending on where she is I'll think about it.

I'll probably go with the better stock of the breeder as with the female trio its only 8$ more for better birds, plus I can get silvers and black. My birthday will be at the same time so I may just ask my husband to consider it a gift.
Oh, I did not realize you were in Canada. She is in California so that will be a no go. No wonder they are charging so much for fertilized eggs over there!

Oh, I did not realize you were in Canada. She is in California so that will be a no go. No wonder they are charging so much for fertilized eggs over there!

Yeah one good breeder in all of BC, check them out http://www.gradeehfarms.ca/barnevelder.html
Very good people but expensive birds for a reason, which is why I'm really thinking about it, I think the price is fair my fear is my own inexperience, I just dont want to buy chicks at such a cost and screw up.
I like how they said if I get their trio special I could choose any color and they keep some beautiful silvers. I think I will go with them if I get birds, better to start with better stock.

I'm just trying to decide if getting cheaper birds only at first to test to coop for faults and try and bring in extra birds later is a better plan then getting everyone at once.

Nice silver double laced pullet, the great leg colour may be noted aswell. We found that by breeding to silver pencilled wyandotte and rocks (either works) the sharp double lacing is present right away. However it then takes many more generations to breed out the red/brown leakage and the only way to really fix that is simply breed many and keep holding on to the most silvered birds.
Piet

We have a beautiful barnie roo but no hens:/ he is such a doll he will jump right in my lap and sun himself and spread his wings all out haha I've been hatching some from our ancona but looking for a good place to get a hen or two.

Back
Top Bottom