Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

This Barnevelder splash is exactly 4 weeks old. The sex of the black ones seems pretty clear on most of the others at this point but I can't tell with this one. Any opinions?

Bought this barnie hen from poultry sale not sure how old she is her wattles and comb is quite red but is not laying any eggs. Wondering weather I bought a rather old hen or what anyone can tell me how old she might be pls??

Looking for a quality breeder of Barnevelders, would like to purchase hatching eggs or day old chicks. Can anyone recommend someone? Have contacted a couple people, one in NY, one in CA but have not heard back yet. I'm located in MA. Thanks for your time.

Looking for a quality breeder of Barnevelders, would like to purchase hatching eggs or day old chicks. Can anyone recommend someone? Have contacted a couple people, one in NY, one in CA but have not heard back yet. I'm located in MA. Thanks for your time.
I can recommend the two I know and where I got my hatching eggs from. tls_ranch and happy chooks. They are super busy folks so sometimes it takes a little longer to get a reply but send them a PM. I am pretty sure there are others out there.

I am posting this here from another forum because it belongs here. However, please excuse me since I am not a genetics expert and some of the questions I may ask might be very simple and basic which I should know already. This posting restarts the conversation for anyone else that might be interested. Although it was started on one of the threads with @nicalandia
but I also had input from @Happy Chooks @tls_ranch via personal messages. Please feel free to join in or I can start a new thread.

Quote:
Following is the answer from @nicalandia

double Lacing its pretty simple its the combination of the Pattern gene(Pg/Pg) and Melanotic(Ml/Ml) on a eb background, single lacing requires Columbian restrictor Co/Co

this picture from this source http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern

will give you a visual on the effect of Pg and Ml and Co on eb(same e allele found on barnevelders and wyandottes)

a simple way to create Chocolate Double laced Pullets its to use a Chocolate Partridge Wyandotte rooster (I dont know how rare they are in the USA) over a Barnevelder hens this will give you sexlinks, females will have inherited the recessive sexlinked chocolate gene so they will fully express the chocolate gene while males will not be able to disply the gene because its hidden or recessive due to the pressence of the dominant sexlinked non-chocolate gene from mother

now if you dont have access to chocolate partridge wyandotte you could also use chocolate Orp rooster but its not going to be that easy, instead of doing a F1 x F1 that will result in F2 you could try to go back to Barnevelders using the F1 Black males that are split for the choc gene, if you cross that rooster back to Barnevelder you will have 50% chance at hatching chocolate colored Barnevelder patterned pullets only pullets so you would need to hatch at least 30 eggs

double Lacing its pretty simple its the combination of the Pattern gene(Pg/Pg) and Melanotic(Ml/Ml) on a eb background, single lacing requires Columbian restrictor Co/Co

this picture from this source http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern

will give you a visual on the effect of Pg and Ml and Co on eb(same e allele found on barnevelders and wyandottes)

a simple way to create Chocolate Double laced Pullets its to use a Chocolate Partridge Wyandotte rooster (I dont know how rare they are in the USA) over a Barnevelder hens this will give you sexlinks, females will have inherited the recessive sexlinked chocolate gene so they will fully express the chocolate gene while males will not be able to disply the gene because its hidden or recessive due to the pressence of the dominant sexlinked non-chocolate gene from mother

now if you dont have access to chocolate partridge wyandotte you could also use chocolate Orp rooster but its not going to be that easy, instead of doing a F1 x F1 that will result in F2 you could try to go back to Barnevelders using the F1 Black males that are split for the choc gene, if you cross that rooster back to Barnevelder you will have 50% chance at hatching chocolate colored Barnevelder patterned pullets only pullets so you would need to hatch at least 30 eggs
@nicalandia , while reviewing our conversation I noticed that:

a) Chocolate Orpington rooster (although suggested by me) is not a good option (thanks @Happy Chooks ) because of the white/pink Orpington feet which are dominant and could be hard to eliminate.
b) When looking for a Chocolate Wyandotte rooster, I would preferably have to find one with a straight comb (again thanks @Happy Chooks )
c) Last but not the least, while reviewing the color calculator, I realized, that all our attempts with the sex-linked chocolate will only replace the base black or blue and the lacing color with chocolate and the project will culminate with a chocolate laced red/gold. But my objective is to get a Double Blue Laced Chocolate pattern. That would involve replacing the Mahogany with Chocolate while leaving the BBS genetics alone. What would be the best way to get in that direction? Is it even possible?

this picture from this source [COLOR=005CB1]http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations1.html#gen_mut_secpattern
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=005CB1]
[/COLOR]

@nicalandia , while reviewing our conversation I noticed that: a) Chocolate Orpington rooster (although suggested by me) is not a good option (thanks @Happy Chooks ) because of the white/pink Orpington feet which are dominant and could be hard to eliminate. b) When looking for a Chocolate Wyandotte rooster, I would preferably have to find one with a straight comb (again thanks @Happy Chooks ) c) Last but not the least, while reviewing the color calculator, I realized, that all our attempts with the sex-linked chocolate will only replace the base black or blue and the lacing color with chocolate and the project will culminate with a chocolate laced red/gold. But my objective is to get a Double Blue Laced Chocolate pattern. That would involve replacing the Mahogany with Chocolate while leaving the BBS genetics alone. What would be the best way to get in that direction? Is it even possible?
So, you want a blue and chocolate laced looking bird? I am a little confused with your goal of using the chocolate and blue genes together. Chocolate modifies black areas to a chocolate. Blue modifies black areas to grey. Neither really effects the reddish ground color of a Barnevelder ( brown/ gold with Mahogany and red enhancers) . Blue and chocolate only will change the apperance in areas of black pigment. If you want a blue and chocolate like pattern you may need "dilute" added to a blue bird. I'm not familiar with this gene. Dilute on a blue bird might lighten the red/ brown ground color and the blue will change the black lacing to grey. Lavender might alter the ground color too as well as the lacing, but I again I'm just guessing as I have not looked into that gene either. I'm not sure how these genes will interact with the mahogany and red enhancers Barnevelders have. Keep in mind that the double laced pattern requires careful breeding and is easily disrupted by outcrossing.

Back
Top Bottom