Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

I went to buy a Welsummer pullet at a local farm and when I saw this beauty, I immediately fell in love with her. She is sweet, docile and let me pet her without flinching.The farmer said she was a mystery chick in the shipment and could not identify her. I posted this photo in another forum and people started saying BARNEVELDER! Since you all know this breed so well, can you confirm this is what she is?
I'm not sure, but doesn't look barnevelder to me

I'm not sure, either, but I think that could be a Barnevelder with poor lacing. I'm sure you've looked at pictures already to compare, but note how a Barnevelder should have beautifully defined double lacing - two rows of lines rather than the single line lacing you see on, say, a Wyandotte. The lacing should ideally continue to the tail, too, but I think she could be a Barnevelder who just doesn't have the best lacing pattern. She will need to fill out, more, too, but if she's a young pullets then there's time. A grown Barnevelder is a fairly large chicken. Mine are similar in size and shape to my Marans. Not exact, but ballpark. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Trying to add a picture

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom