Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed

The three girls I recently introduced to our flock are doing the same thing. I think it takes a while before the others are accepting of them and dont try to chase them off from the food etc. did you introduce her all by herself? poor thing. Chickens are the epitome of cliquish.

Carolyn,
She's probably just stressed. I really try hard to only move or sell birds paired with at least one buddy (same age/same group). A single bird usually gets picked on and can be an outcast. The stress can cause them to stop laying too. Hopefully she'll bond with the flock soon.

Trisha

Just thought I'd share a pic of one of my "top" blue pullets for 2012. The pic isn't the best because it's smokey here due to local forest fires and color isn't exactly right. Also, her feathers aren't in the best of condition due to beaching from sun x water misters.

But, you can see type is getting better and the lacing is pretty good. She was strutting a bit too much and her tail set looks a bit to high in this pic compared to her more normal carriage. She didn't like being singled out and cornered for a picture, LOL. It looks like I'll have about 8-12 blue pullets of decent quality to work with, but will probably cull a few more for egg color once they all start laying.

I like the wide and fully fanned tail and the fact she doesn't have the really fluffy butt or "bloomers" that came from the original out cross to the wyandottes.

You can see some of the damage from the sun and water on her feathers. Some in the flock are even worse with really bleached feathers and fraying, but others weren't effected as bad. Overall, I'm just glad the misters helped keep the flock comfortable during the nearly 3 weeks of 100+ temps. I don't run the misters unless temps are over 100+, but we had so many days at 100+ that the feather damage was much worse this year.

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like I just need to be more patient. She is the only newbie, I have just 3 total, and didn't realize it was going to be so hard on her. Perhaps if she were a more assertive personality it would have been easier for her. She's getting a bit more bold little by little. Last night she got onto the perch while "Miss Bossy" was occupied elsewhere and she stayed put. I also found her gobbling cantaloupe seeds side-by-side with the other two yesterday. It's easy for her to get access to the food and water during the day without being harassed so I know she's not going hungry. I also give her BOSS from my hand.

Quite often I see her just sitting quietly by herself (as opposed to standing or walking), far more often than I see my others doing that. (The other two are an EE and a black australorp.) I've been treating her for bumble foot for 4 weeks now and they're much better so I don't think sore feet are a big issue. Do Barnie's sit a larger percentage of the time than other breeds? I read a post somewhere that made me think that might be the case. True or false?

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot lately.

love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Here are my Trisha babies at 13 weeks, there is another Roo but in a different pen. Those are Silver Penciled Plymouth Rocks in the other pen. They are mad right now because I let out the Trisha babies and not them, they protest very loudly.

You can see some of the damage from the sun and water on her feathers. Some in the flock are even worse with really bleached feathers and fraying, but others weren't effected as bad. Overall, I'm just glad the misters helped keep the flock comfortable during the nearly 3 weeks of 100+ temps. I don't run the misters unless temps are over 100+, but we had so many days at 100+ that the feather damage was much worse this year.

Really interesting! I had no idea that sun and water would change their feathers. But then I guess it's just like the sun bleaching our hair! (light bulb)
lol.png

Tisha, I see what you mean, now, about messy lacing. That blue hen has very distinct lacing, clean. She's a pretty girl. Aya

Thank you all for your replies. It sounds like I just need to be more patient. She is the only newbie, I have just 3 total, and didn't realize it was going to be so hard on her. Perhaps if she were a more assertive personality it would have been easier for her. She's getting a bit more bold little by little. Last night she got onto the perch while "Miss Bossy" was occupied elsewhere and she stayed put. I also found her gobbling cantaloupe seeds side-by-side with the other two yesterday. It's easy for her to get access to the food and water during the day without being harassed so I know she's not going hungry. I also give her BOSS from my hand.

Quite often I see her just sitting quietly by herself (as opposed to standing or walking), far more often than I see my others doing that. (The other two are an EE and a black australorp.) I've been treating her for bumble foot for 4 weeks now and they're much better so I don't think sore feet are a big issue. Do Barnie's sit a larger percentage of the time than other breeds? I read a post somewhere that made me think that might be the case. True or false?

Thanks again. I'm learning a lot lately.
My barnies don't sit anymore than my other breeds. It could be that her feet are still bothering her some.

Back
Top Bottom