Barnevelder wing feathers turning white

Canidae

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
SE Ohio
I just recently noticed my Barnevelder Catnip has developed some white feathers on her left wing. I believe they only appeared after her most recent molt. She's about 4 y/o. Any ideas what could be causing this? Age related? One of my other hens does occasionally pick on her. She's otherwise acting normal. I feed Henhouse Reserve if that's relevant.
20230116_174311.jpg

Last edited:
Lysine deficiencies have been associated with impaired feather pigmentation in poultry. Methionine deficiency has been associated with stress lines on feathers.
Macwhirter chapter 31
https://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/avian-medicine/

The feed you're using may not be deficient in these amino acids; the stress of being picked on may be affecting her metabolism.

Lysine deficiencies have been associated with impaired feather pigmentation in poultry. Methionine deficiency has been associated with stress lines on feathers.
Macwhirter chapter 31
https://avianmedicine.net/publication_cat/avian-medicine/

The feed you're using may not be deficient in these amino acids; the stress of being picked on may be affecting her metabolism.
Thank you for the literature. Yes, I could see it being stress related. Maybe she's being bullied away from the feeder as well. I'll try putting out a second one. This is my feeds nutritional info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_135640_Chewy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_135640_Chewy.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 2
Thank you for the literature. Yes, I could see it being stress related. Maybe she's being bullied away from the feeder as well. I'll try putting out a second one. This is my feeds nutritional info.
an alternative feeder out of sight of the first one is a good idea. I don't think the feathers' pigmentation will change now whatever she eats, but it should be restored after the next moult if that is the issue.

But it might also be deficiency in the feed; there seem to be lots of other posts about this from US posters at the moment. Nutrient labels are based on averages - they only test samples every now and then during production, not every bag - and so, despite the apparent precision to hundredths of a percent, the numbers should be taken with a pinch of salt. A small tin of sardines has plenty of these amino acids (and lots of other goodies) in a form birds can metabolize it, and isn't expensive as a fortnightly supplement. I share a 90g tin between 20 birds, which works out about 2p per bird.

Back
Top Bottom