Barnevelders, sex linked? Dark/light?

ForTheLoveOfSilkies

Free Ranging
Aug 18, 2019
Australia
5 week Olds X3
2 have light feathering, 1 dark since hatch and still the same. Sex linked?
Dark one has more feathers at shoulders too
Double laced gold show quality hatched from shipped eggs.

2 boys and 1 girl?
IMG20231024064259.jpg
IMG20231024064250.jpg
IMG20231024064246.jpg
IMG20231024064254.jpg

Barnvelders that have been kept pure for colour are not sex linked, I think you're trying to ask if there's a feather difference between genders which I would think is more auto sexing. I personally have not noticed any difference in my chicks, but by six weeks you should be able to make decent guesses based on comb size and colour.

Barnvelders that have been kept pure for colour are not sex linked, I think you're trying to ask if there's a feather difference between genders which I would think is more auto sexing. I personally have not noticed any difference in my chicks, but by six weeks you should be able to make decent guesses based on comb size and colour.
Ok thanks, I did notice a feather difference between these last 2 I have and the 2 that were taken by a black bird, they had shoulder feathers and were darker in colour overall.
Any guesses on the above 2 Barnies?

Both Cockerels, not sure about Silkies, never had that breed but the Barn's are boys.
Combs are typically what you notice first, but they will grow the wattles out for sure, give it a few more week and you'll notice the big change once they reach early maturity.

Back
Top Bottom