Barnies, Hamburg, Light Sussex and Aracauna

Mudda Clucka

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2020
Hi,
First go at raising chicks... its been so much fun!
Just checking my thoughts that the only girls are the sussex and hamburg? TIA! All are 10 weeks plus a few days, sorry for the blurry's.. they are fast critters and I need to snap them before they get to my feet.
1593674633517.png 1593674700790.png 1593674958776.png 1593675004330.png 1593675152478.png 1593675235432.png
Also, if i want to try again for some Barnevelder girls, are any of my cockerels good enough to keep for breeding,or should I just wait for the next batch... I have no idea what lacing is supposed to look like at this age?... They were day old chicks so I have no idea of parents or egg colour either. I don't imagine I'll show them but I would like to have some good looking chooks and eggs!
One more question... what's going on with the hamburg colour? It was a dark chick, but doesn't seem to be either silver or gold?
Many thanks!

:frowhello @Mudda Clucka - welcome to BYC

I agree with you on the pullets. And the Araucana looks like a decent lavender. Don't know about barnevelders so can't help there sorry, but juvenile feathering is sometimes not a good guide to adult so you may just have to wait, as you said. The same may be going on with the hamburg.

:frowhello @Mudda Clucka - welcome to BYC

I agree with you on the pullets. And the Araucana looks like a decent lavender. Don't know about barnevelders so can't help there sorry, but juvenile feathering is sometimes not a good guide to adult so you may just have to wait, as you said. The same may be going on with the hamburg.
Thanks! I’ve been doing some research, the barnies no good for breeding girls, too much lacing on breast, also the little barnie was a yellow chick which is apparently no good either, plus there’s a lot of red coming through too... oh well!

I don’t intend to but probably won’t be able to help myself 🤣 As it is I’ve decided to use the lavender to breed a pretty egg basket... I need more hens so the dears don’t get overworked. I got a Marans chick but It’s looking like another boy, and I got a leghorn chick that’s looking like a phoenix... but IDK for sure, and 3 wyandottes, still not enough for 2 Roos I guess if I keep one of the barnie boys. I really got attached to the idea of lovely double laced ladies 😍

Back
Top Bottom