Barnyard Massacre!!

davony's chicks

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Missouri
Ok, sorry it was not a massacre but almost. I went out to the hen house this evening to collect eggs. I noticed one of my younger blue cochin hens butt was bloody. When I picked her up to examine her it was plucked and raw and bloody. Nobody was picking on her at that time but was starting to get dark so they were mostly roosting. My question is there anything i should do for her? I brought her into the house and put her in a cage with. A friend of mine said she will probably have to stay for a few months until any scabs have heeled and feathers start to grow back.
Should I put anything on the wound??

Thanks
32929_bloody_butt.jpg

sad.png
owhhh i am so sorry.. it deffinately wouldnt hurt to clean the wound and i like to clean wounds with natural sea salts as this is very healing.. it may burn a tad the first time, but it pulls out any infection before setting in.. at least it isnt warm and you wont have trouble with flies, gross, or anything like that.. i ahve also heard of vaseline, but never have i tried it.. best of luck, dana.. and let us know how it gets along please...
fl.gif

Chickens are attracted to red and will continue to pick her until they kill her. I had a cockerel a while back that this happened to and what I did was to wash the affected area well , keep a nice thick coat of Blue Kote on it and put him right back with the others. You may have to use it once or twice daily until the area isn't so red. The ones pecking/picking won't do it but once as that stuff is nasty. You will also know which ones are doing the pecking/pecking as their faces will be dark blue. Also by putting her back with the others now, you will eliminate any re-integration problems later. Just keep an eye on her.

Thank you so much for your comments. I did worry about the reintegration problem too. I was planning on building a second coop this spring to divide my cochins so I can have pure cochin chicks so if I put them in that pen at the same time that should fix that problem. I will try the blue kote. Maybe I can find out who is doing it. I have had a problem with one of them eating eggs and she is pretty aggressive so I have a feeling it is her that did it. I will definately try the blue kote tomorrow. She is in the laundry room for the night in her cage.
She is too cute sitting on her perch in the dog kennel. LOL
I am just happy I found her before they killed her, she is too sweet!
32929_100_3429.jpg

Thanks
Tony

Update.
I sprayed the blue kote on her and put her back in the hen house, at first nothing happened then miss aggressive rhode island red came in and attacked her and another followed! I have decided that she will have stay in the house in her cage untill she grows more feathers!
This rhode island red is very aggressive and she eats eggs! I may have to fry her! One day she actually took an egg out of my egg bucket with her beak and ran off with it yolk slinging around as she ran!

I think the RIR would make nice chicken noodle soup, don't you. Cochin's are so sweet I hate the thought of her being picked on. BTW she's beautiful!

Yeah...sounds like that RIR would have to go. You might try keeping the RIR in a crate for several days, up to a week. Some say that then when you put them back in the flock, they should be knocked down several pegs. Worth a shot before you opt for the pot... if she's still behaving that way after your girl heals and goes back in.

Back
Top Bottom