Barred owl-what do you think?Will it kill my geese?

heronz

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
I know for sure it would kill my chickens if I didn't have a run with tops.
How about my American buff geese?
This huge barred owl was in my neighbors tree behind our barn tonight.
The geese have free run within our fenced property.
They have a building to run into.
Just not sure if it would tackle the geese or not.
Has anybody lost geese to a barred owl?

I don't know about Barred Owls killing geese, but Barred owls will sure tackle a spotted owl. The US Fish and Wildlife Service is currently shooting barred owls where their range overlaps because spotted owls are having their nesting sights stolen by barred owls. Cutting trees has nothing to do with the troubles spotted owls have raising famlies, the problem is other more agressive owls displaceing spotted owls.

I have never kept geese but I do think that a goose would be a fist full for a barred owl, but I don't now that. Make sure that you and I are speaking about the same bird. Barred owls do not have ears, the more dangerous to poultry great horned owl has ears. I guess that if a barred owl attacked a goose in the dark and if the owl got the upper hand that it could finish off a goose.

Then after looking at this I am unsure, I am also unsure that it was a barred owl that attacked this man's goose.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...aZJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=Dw4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=4636,4129559

Here in N.H. the barred owls are showing up everywhere.
Almost like they are over populated.
I like that they kill most of the things that kill chickens but don't want to lose my geese.
Maybe we are going to have to top a pen for them until it moves on-if it ever does.
Quite a few people in this area have been telling me there was an owl around and one even got pictures.
I took videos and pics today and hope to get them on here tomorrow.

Imagine that, the US Fish and Wildlife Service can kill owls because they think they are interfering with another species of wild bird, which as far as I am concerned is nature at work and none of the US gov't business, but we cannot legally kill a bird of prey which attacks our livestock? That is complete BS. As far as I am concerned these birds should be dealt with in the same way as any predator which attacks livestock.

Back
Top Bottom