Barred Rock Afficianados - Do I Have a Rooster?

Smokerbill

Free Ranging
Apr 1, 2023
SW Washington
I bought eight Barred Rock chicks at the Wilco store in Kelso on March 24th. Not sure of the hatch date. I was hoping that one of the eight would be a male.

I noticed today that one of them has a lot more white in the breast feathering and on the back, just behind the base of the neck. Here are a couple of pics. Chick in question is on the left side of both pics.

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 6
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 3
I bought eight Barred Rock chicks at the Wilco store in Kelso on March 24th. Not sure of the hatch date. I was hoping that one of the eight would be a male.

I noticed today that one of them has a lot more white in the breast feathering and on the back, just behind the base of the neck. Here are a couple of pics. Chick in question is on the left side of both pics.
Pullets.

So, a lot of variation in the look of hatchery chicks? What would I be seeing if one was a rooster?
From some hatcheries, yes. In recent years we've seen barred rocks that have weird coloring on here. A male would have a bigger and redder comb at this stage. Male barred rocks usually have larger head spots as chicks, and their coloring will appear lighter overall. This is because their white bars are wider than in females, and that is a genetic thing. Males can carry two copies of the barring gene, but females can only carry one.

Back
Top Bottom