Barred Rocks??

Chickenlover4ever

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2023
A few weeks ago, I bought 4 chicks from Tractor Supply. They were Barred Rock pullets. As they’re feathering out I’m noticing 2 of them do not look like Barred Rocks at all and I’m wondering if maybe they’re another breed. Does anyone have any insight as to whether these are just odd-looking Barred Rocks or if they might be something else? Was really hoping for layers so I would be disappointed if I somehow got sold a meat bird or a rooster. Also, please pardon the photo quality. I took the pictures while simultaneously trying to keep my one year old from picking the chicks up by their heads😅 The first picture is one of the Barred Rocks and the next two are of the possible imposters. If I need to take a better picture to help I definitely can! I appreciate anyone’s insight on this! Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    461.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0769.jpeg
    IMG_0769.jpeg
    396.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    413.4 KB · Views: 22
Barred rocks will always have barring and head spots as chicks, like the one on the left. The two black ones don't look like meat birds. They could be Australorps, Jersey Giants and a few other things. Hopefully it is Australorps because they are great layers.

This is what my Barred Rocks looked like as babies...
DSCN2560.JPG

DSCN2620.JPG

The lower left bird in your photos could be a Jersey Giant, they have yellow feet. Australorps don't. Here were my Australorps as babies...
DSCN1363 - Copy.JPG

Back
Top Bottom