Pure Barred Rocks or australorp cross?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-17 1.22.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-17 1.22.14 PM.png
    993.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Got some more pics of the chickens. One of the barred rocks stayed out in the rain yesterday morning so s/hes looking a tiny bit better in the feather department.

Looking for saddle feathers, and a comparison to a leghorn. Please excuse the mess and mud, it just rained and we are due for a renovation. Age and gender anyone?
View attachment 3749380View attachment 3749381

Honestly, these two look like they weren't well cared for. They look rumpled and half starved. Very sad. I wouldn't buy from this breeder again.

I suppose they could be low quality barred rocks, but honestly I've never seen a barred rock even from the worst hatcheries with all those black feathers mixed in.
Some of my dominique chicks from Purely Poultry had a purple sheen on the black barring and the white feathers looked dirty.(it wasn't dirt) Half my order of purebred dominique pullets ended up being poorly bred barred rocks.They also threw a cockerel in for good measure

A cockerel would still have a bigger brighter comb with wattles showing at a younger age (they develop quickly in this breed) Here is another cockerel with some pullets around the same age as yours (yours are younger than they stated) You can see the subtle differences in colors, wattles and comb between the bird on the left and the pullets on the right https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-month-old-barred-rock-rooster-or-hen.1245238/

Last edited:
Some of my dominique chicks from Purely Poultry had a purple sheen on the black barring and the white feathers looked dirty.(it wasn't dirt) Half my order of purebred dominique pullets ended up being poorly bred barred rocks.They also threw a cockerel in for good measure
A cockerel would still have a bigger brighter comb with wattles showing at a younger age (they develop quickly in this breed) Here is another cockerel with some pullets around the same age as yours (yours are younger than they stated) You can see the subtle differences in colors, wattles and comb between the bird on the left and the pullets on the right https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-month-old-barred-rock-rooster-or-hen.1245238/
Woah thats terrible! Sorry you had that experience with them.

I got a little update on mine, i think they might be a bit older than 4 months, they have for some reason have some very weird body proportions. They are the size of my hybrid laying hens, but with giant thick legs. Here is one of them beside a 4 month old black australorp pullet. Body shape reminds me of my brahma hens, with of course less fluff.

IMG_0921.jpeg

IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1331.jpeg

I got a little update on mine, i think they might be a bit older than 4 months, they have for some reason have some very weird body proportions. They are the size of my hybrid laying hens, but with giant thick legs. Here is one of them beside a 4 month old black australorp pullet. Body shape reminds me of my brahma hens, with of course less fluff.

View attachment 3760693
View attachment 3760694View attachment 3760695

View attachment 3760693
View attachment 3760694View attachment 3760695
I love your black and white chickens of various sizes and breeds they're gorgeous! So is your coop! I do hope you've cut those tie ties short since this photo was taken (if you haven't already done so!)

I love your black and white chickens of various sizes and breeds they're gorgeous! So is your coop! I do hope you've cut those tie ties short since this photo was taken (if you haven't already done so!)
Thank you! A lot if the “fancy” breeds have now been moved to their own special coop since the layers seem to think they are a bit odd and pick on them.

Yes I did so, we are still renovating the coop so the waterer got moved around a bunch.

Back
Top Bottom