Pure Barred Rocks or australorp cross?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
I got some 5 month old pullets and they are starting to look a little interesting. Came from a breeder that sold them as pure rocks although the breeder also has several flocks and I got an australorp x barrad rock chick for free when i got the pullets.

I don’t have any barred rocks so I can’t really compare them to any of mine. Maybe just really dark and shiny Barred rocks?

Here are some pics of them breaking in and destroying my garden.
IMG_0690.jpeg
IMG_0693.jpeg
IMG_0692.jpeg
IMG_0694.jpeg

I would say they are more 3 months old and that they are probably mixed with the Black Australorps - pure Barred Plymouth Rock have more white than that and are slightly more grayish in color than that dark black.

I would say they are more 3 months old and that they are probably mixed with the Black Australorps - pure Barred Plymouth Rock have more white than that and are slightly more grayish in color than that dark black.
Australorps are white skinned/shanked. White/shanks are dominant over yellow. If they were crossed they'd have white shanks.
I've done this crossing. Well, a similar cross.

Definitely not pure barred rocks, and probably not crosses with Australorps, either, because of the yellow legs. I'm also kind of doubtful that they're 5 months old. They look younger.
I would say they are more 3 months old and that they are probably mixed with the Black Australorps - pure Barred Plymouth Rock have more white than that and are slightly more
guess that explains the cheaper price although knowing their mixed and probably much younger I wouldn't count what i spent as cheap. Picture they sent me was low quality with bad lighting, the black looked gray.
Barred Rocks, just not the best looking.
Australorps are white skinned/shanked. White/shanks are dominant over yellow. If they were crossed they'd have white shanks.
I've done this crossing. Well, a similar cross.
so are these just low quality barred rocks then? still a shame cause they promised good quality birds.

thankfully I got some hatching eggs from another breeder (will be awhile before they lay though). for the time being Ill just keep them as layers I guess. Still a shame I paid that much for them tho :(. oh well they are still pretty girls to me, just maybe not the best to use as parent stock.

Last edited:
guess that explains the cheaper price although knowing their mixed and probably much younger I wouldn't count what i spent as cheap. Picture they sent me was low quality with bad lighting, the black looked gray.

so are these just low quality barred rocks then? still a shame cause they promised good quality birds.

thankfully I got some hatching eggs from another breeder (will be awhile before they lay though). for the time being i guess Ill just keep them as layers I guess. Still a shame I paid that much for them tho :(. oh well they are still pretty girls to me, just maybe not the best to use as parent stock.
Honestly, these two look like they weren't well cared for. They look rumpled and half starved. Very sad. I wouldn't buy from this breeder again.

I suppose they could be low quality barred rocks, but honestly I've never seen a barred rock even from the worst hatcheries with all those black feathers mixed in.

Honestly, these two look like they weren't well cared for. They look rumpled and half starved. Very sad. I wouldn't buy from this breeder again.

I suppose they could be low quality barred rocks, but honestly I've never seen a barred rock even from the worst hatcheries with all those black feathers mixed in.
I agree, while some of the feathers did fall off on the way to me, they are not well cared for. when they arrived they smelled so bad. They are currently getting some extra tlc, hopefully they recover fast.

1707924238947.png

These are the other breeder's barred rocks. currently waiting for the eggs to hatch :fl. They unfortunately are not selling their older birds so all I have are their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom