We thought Barred Rock…

e3eastman

Hatching
Mar 15, 2024
But it simply doesn’t look like it to me!

I have two “barred rock” chicks, but as their feathers begin to lengthen I see only gray and white. This is our first time keeping chickens and everything is going well (so far … knock on wood?). These chicks are the sweetest and fall asleep in your hand as evidenced by the photo. They just don’t look like barred rocks to me!

I know Tractor Supply can often mislabel. They’re super healthy & beautiful, but very gray!

Attachments

• DFCFC208-A8E2-42A1-B6CE-49A1953C992E.jpeg
    DFCFC208-A8E2-42A1-B6CE-49A1953C992E.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4295.jpeg
    IMG_4295.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 19
I am not sure what the cick is.
I notice you are using a heat lamp bulb in what appears to be a very small area.
It doesn't look like the chicks have any room to get away from the heat.

Make sure you are cooking them. They don't need it to be 90+ at this age. 85 is better.

Hi Kiki!
We have a wireless thermometer that we keep track of the temp at all times. Our house is VERY cold (68°) and they’re currently in our laundry room which is one of the coldest areas of the house. The area they’re in has run a consistent 82-85° and we’ve adjusted it weekly (we have two separate groups of chicks) since we brought them home. I do appreciate your advice though!
I am not sure what the cick is.
I notice you are using a heat lamp bulb in what appears to be a very small area.
It doesn't look like the chicks have any room to get away from the heat.

Make sure you are cooking them. They don't need it to be 90+ at this age. 85 is bette

Ya not barred rocks.
They're blue and not barred. Possibly Sapphire Gems.

Hi Kiki!
We have a wireless thermometer that we keep track of the temp at all times. Our house is VERY cold (68°) and they’re currently in our laundry room which is one of the coldest areas of the house. The area they’re in has run a consistent 82-85° and we’ve adjusted it weekly (we have two separate groups of chicks) since we brought them home. I do appreciate your advice though!
Many here will just offer a warm area and a cool area. Letting the chicks decide where to be.

Many here will just offer a warm area and a cool area. Letting the chicks decide where to be.
We actually are using our old pack n play for them. Works absolutely perfect. 🤣 Sometimes I find them under the lamp (evenings when the house is cooler - we live on the Gulf and I hate turning the heat on) and other times they’re finding another location. Seems to be working well!

We actually are using our old pack n play for them. Works absolutely perfect. 🤣 Sometimes I find them under the lamp (evenings when the house is cooler - we live on the Gulf and I hate turning the heat on) and other times they’re finding another location. Seems to be working well!
As long as they are not consistently grouping in one (warm or cool) area, it's fine. My larger point was that you don't have to actually measure the temp aside from a baseline of under the light.

And please add your general location to your profile. Climate is almost always a factor.

Back
Top Bottom