Barred Rock can not walk

Fentress

Songster
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Chesapeake, Va.
I have a 1 year old BR, that can not walk. I have had the occassional chicken with a bad foot, but they could still hobble around and it has always healed itself. I took a look at her and she has a foot that is a little swollen, but it's not that bad. I have read about bumble foot and it does not have a hardened abcess area that can be cut out. I looked at her legs and moved them around, they don't seem broken or cause her any pain. Her head is up and she is alert, but she won't move. It is so bad, she has fecal matter caked on her tail feathers. I have isolated her so she can have food and water close by. Does not appear to be eating, maybe drinking a little bit. Any idea as to what can debilitate a chicken to this degree.

Thanks

Pictures of the feet and legs can sometimes help. While you are figuring out what is wrong, you may want to make her a chicken chair or sling to get her off the ground to rest the leg and keep her clean. Were your chickens vaccinated for Mareks disease? Has there ever been any chickens with a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma?

I got the chicks from a reputable BR breeder, doubt if they were vacinated. Doesn't Marecks affect younger birds? Mine is 1 year old. Not aware of any respiratory disease. If this is a disease I am going to cull her. I have plenty of chickens and don't need a sick one hanging around. If it is a bum foot she can stay, but she has been like this for a week now with no improvement. I work hard to move my flock and keep them on fresh grass and count on that to keep them healthy. I don't know much about diseases'. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom