Barred rock/easter egger chick

BVan1

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
We successfully hatched 2 chicks on Easter.(it was a small batch of 4 eggs for our first time hatching) it was a plymouth barred rock hen and what I think is an Easter egger rooster. He's our only rooster. We did hatch a RIR hen egg and our rooster but I can tell it's deff a RIR just by the color. My question is about the spot on the barred rock chicks head. There doesn't seem to be one. I thought it was a dominant trait of the barred rock? She/he(hoping for a she!) came from a darker brown egg, so hoping for a decent coloring. Here are some pics. And mom and dad!

Attachments

• 20240404_140844.jpg
    20240404_140844.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240404_140858.jpg
    20240404_140858.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240404_140932.jpg
    20240404_140932.jpg
    459 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240404_140928.jpg
    20240404_140928.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240301_095821.jpg
    20240301_095821.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230701_191346.jpg
    20230701_191346.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
it was a plymouth barred rock hen and what I think is an Easter egger rooster. He's our only rooster.

My question is about the spot on the barred rock chicks head. There doesn't seem to be one. I thought it was a dominant trait of the barred rock? She/he(hoping for a she!) came from a darker brown egg, so hoping for a decent coloring. Here are some pics. And mom and dad!

Barring is a dominant gene on the Z sex chromosome.

A rooster has chromosomes ZZ, a hen has ZW.

Your rooster does not have barring, so he gives every chick a Z chromosome with no barring.

The barred hen would give her Z chromosome (with barring) to her sons, and they will show barring because barring is dominant. She gives her W chromosome to her daughters. It makes them female, but does not have barring.

So if you are sure of which hen is the mother, you have a sexlinked pullet there. No headspot means no barring and from these parents that means female.

The only way that chick could be a male: if you have some other hen that lays brown eggs, and has the genes to produce a black chick, but has no barring. Possibilities would include a solid black hen, or a hen that is blue or lavender or chocolate, or any of those colors with white dots from the mottling gene, or some kinds of white hen (example: California White.)

Barring is a dominant gene on the Z sex chromosome.

A rooster has chromosomes ZZ, a hen has ZW.

Your rooster does not have barring, so he gives every chick a Z chromosome with no barring.

The barred hen would give her Z chromosome (with barring) to her sons, and they will show barring because barring is dominant. She gives her W chromosome to her daughters. It makes them female, but does not have barring.

So if you are sure of which hen is the mother, you have a sexlinked pullet there. No headspot means no barring and from these parents that means female.

The only way that chick could be a male: if you have some other hen that lays brown eggs, and has the genes to produce a black chick, but has no barring. Possibilities would include a solid black hen, or a hen that is blue or lavender or chocolate, or any of those colors with white dots from the mottling gene, or some kinds of white hen (example: California White.)
Thank you for that info!!! It has to be 1 of my 3 barred rock girls then. I have 2 RIR but the other chick deff looks like them. I have 4 americaunas actually probably just easter eggers(from tsc) but they all lay blue eggs. And 1 olive egger which she lays darker green. We had 2 brown eggs, a blue and green egg in the incubator. The olive egg didn't develop at all and the blue egg hatched but had issues and passed unfortunately. Will she automatically have brown eggs then?

Thank you for that info!!! It has to be 1 of my 3 barred rock girls then. I have 2 RIR but the other chick deff looks like them. I have 4 americaunas actually probably just easter eggers(from tsc) but they all lay blue eggs. And 1 olive egger which she lays darker green. We had 2 brown eggs, a blue and green egg in the incubator. The olive egg didn't develop at all and the blue egg hatched but had issues and passed unfortunately. Will she automatically have brown eggs then?
In that case, yes the mother must be a Barred Rock, and the chick must be female.

Whether the chick will lay brown eggs or green, I can't say for sure.

Since the mother laid brown eggs, the chick inherited a not-blue eggshell gene from her. But the father might or might not have any blue egg genes. If he gives a blue egg gene to the chick, the chick will lay eggs that are blue, green, or olive. I'm guessing green, which is a blue egg with brown on the outside, because the mother obviously has the genes to put brown on the outside of the egg, and the chick will probably inherit that.

You can just wait to see what color eggs the chick lays. Or if you are impatient, there is a DNA test. It could be used on the chick (sample of feathers or blood), or they can use the eggshell the chick hatched out of (gooey stuff inside), or testing the rooster could tell what genes he has, which lets you predict what he will produce in future but but may not give a definite answer about this chick. If the rooster has one blue eggshell gene and one not-blue eggshell gene, the chick could have inherited either one. If the rooster has two blue eggshell genes, or two not-blue ones, then you would know exactly what he gave this chick and will give all future chicks.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If I had to make a guess, I would guess green eggs from the chick, but that's a best-guess at present, not a certainty.

In that case, yes the mother must be a Barred Rock, and the chick must be female.

Whether the chick will lay brown eggs or green, I can't say for sure.

Since the mother laid brown eggs, the chick inherited a not-blue eggshell gene from her. But the father might or might not have any blue egg genes. If he gives a blue egg gene to the chick, the chick will lay eggs that are blue, green, or olive. I'm guessing green, which is a blue egg with brown on the outside, because the mother obviously has the genes to put brown on the outside of the egg, and the chick will probably inherit that.

You can just wait to see what color eggs the chick lays. Or if you are impatient, there is a DNA test. It could be used on the chick (sample of feathers or blood), or they can use the eggshell the chick hatched out of (gooey stuff inside), or testing the rooster could tell what genes he has, which lets you predict what he will produce in future but but may not give a definite answer about this chick. If the rooster has one blue eggshell gene and one not-blue eggshell gene, the chick could have inherited either one. If the rooster has two blue eggshell genes, or two not-blue ones, then you would know exactly what he gave this chick and will give all future chicks.
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If I had to make a guess, I would guess green eggs from the chick, but that's a best-guess at present, not a certainty.
I think we will just wait and see! But that's very interesting they have that testing for chickens lol thank you for all the great information!

Back
Top Bottom