Would a white or black rooster override a Mosaic's coloration in the next generation?

SeaClucks

Songster
12 Years
Jan 21, 2012
I've got a Mosaic x Easter egger, basically a super mutt, that looks like a mosaic but lays blue eggs. I would love to hatch some of her chicks if they could be a similar color of plumage and lay colored eggs. Is her coloration considered Columbian? Or is it not a true color, just a mix with a base white underneath perhaps?
PXL_20240402_212823901~2.jpg

I currently have a white Easter Egger rooster and a black Olive egger rooster. Am I right to assume that all of the white roosters chicks would be white, and all the black roosters chicks would be black? Or is there a chance of color bleeding through? Thanks!

I currently have a white Easter Egger rooster and a black Olive egger rooster. Am I right to assume that all of the white roosters chicks would be white, and all the black roosters chicks would be black? Or is there a chance of color bleeding through? Thanks!
The black rooster may produce all black chicks, or may produce 50% black chicks and 50% chicks of other colors, depending on what genes he has. Either way, I think there is a good chance of some color bleeding through, but I can't predict whether it will be just a small amount or a large amount.

White is difficult, because there are several different genes or combinations of genes that can make a white chicken. Some of them will produce just white chicks. Some of them will produce colored chicks. You will probably have to try it to see what happens, unless you know more about the parents of this rooster.

For either rooster, if they have sired chicks with other hens, it may be possible to work out some of their genetics from that (for example, if the black one produced 50% not-black chicks with other colors of hens, he would probably do the same with this hen.)

I've got a Mosaic x Easter egger, basically a super mutt, that looks like a mosaic but lays blue eggs. I would love to hatch some of her chicks if they could be a similar color of plumage and lay colored eggs. Is her coloration considered Columbian? Or is it not a true color, just a mix with a base white underneath perhaps?
I don't think she is exactly Columbian colored, but I think she does have some of the same genes that a Columbian chicken would have, plus a few other ones. I don't know exactly which genes she has, just the most basic idea.

Depending on what genes the rooster provides, she might produce chicks that look like herself, or she might produce chicks that look very different than she does.

Back
Top Bottom