Will an Americauna roo bred to any hen create an Easter egger essentially?

pinkl72

Songster
Dec 18, 2022
We have a black americauna rooster who was supposed to be a hen. We have an assortment of hens to include mottled orpinton, gray frizzle (no clue what the actual breed is), leghorn, olive egger, cochin bantam, turken, gold laced cochin/wyandotte crosses, mille fleur barbu d'uccle, black marans, buff brahma, and red sussex. If I let the americauna rooster run around with the rest of the flock, will all the offspring be considered Easter eggers essentially? We had too many roosters and had to separate them because the yard was getting too sporty. We want to let one out to be a protector and if it can have an added benefit that would be great. We sell fertilized eggs and chicks on a small scale mostly to people we know who ask for some, but we mostly hatch them out to add to our flock. Our other roosters are a laughing rooster mix (hes half laughing chicken half buff orpington and he cackles), russian orloff, mille fleur booted bantam, a mix of an olive egger with the cochin/wyandotte mix, bantam sebright mixes, cochin/wyandotte, and a mix we think is easter egger and the cochin/wyandotte mix. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

2 copies of the blue egg gene (as in pure Ameraucana, etc.) will always pass 1 copy to the offspring.
If the other parent has white egg genes, the offspring will lay blue (a light shade, typically).
If the other parent has brown egg genes, the offspring will lay green (from light mint/teal to sage and olive). The brown egg genes are finicky, so the dose of brown varies.

My point is, Americauna and Easter eggers aren't the same thing, however I may be unknowingly working with an Easter egger. After some pondering, I would prefer it to be an Easter egger because it would theoretically have one blue egg laying gene and one white or brown gene which should throw more egg color options in the offspring.

My point is, Americauna and Easter eggers aren't the same thing, however I may be unknowingly working with an Easter egger. After some pondering, I would prefer it to be an Easter egger because it would theoretically have one blue egg laying gene and one white or brown gene which should throw more egg color options in the offspring.
And I edited the response that caused the confusion. Sorry

No, Americana and EEs are exactly the same thing.

No, Americana and EEs are exactly the same thing.
They are different. I'm no expert and not the one to explain it but for one, Ameraucana is an APA recognized breed and Easter egger is not. There are lots of articles explaining it if you want to do a Google search.

Back
Top Bottom